Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two moulding questions

I've read much about coping inside corners, but joining outside corners seem to generally be glossed over in the coping articles I've read. I don't really see how coping would work on outside corners, so maybe that's why. So, what's the best way to join moulding at outside corners? Just a miter cut?

Also, I've read that "cross-pinning" the joints is the way to go. Can somebody explain cross-pinning to me? (For both inside and outside corners.) I want to fasten these joints the right way.

After the miter cut, I use a jack knife to trim a small amount from the inside edges. That usually allows the joint to fit tightly, but for painted base moldings, I also use a thin layer of caulk on the mating surfaces to fill any minor gaps. It takes too long to cope outside corners, and I don't know what would be gained.

Wood moldings with a natural finish take a bit more care, but I still use a knife to trim the inner edges.

If you cross-nail outside corners, you have a stronger joint, but it's very easy to split wood when you nail that close to the ends, especially with the crappy Asian-made nails, so I almost never do. If I do, I drill first and use the smallest nail I can get by with.

Comment

thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
      X
      =