Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stair stringers

Help.... I have been looking at several sites on the 'How to' of building these. I understand the math.. the problem lies in the run length..

total rise is 104 inches... 103.5....
    the calculations are this... 7 5/8" rise and at 10" run
    cuts of rise 7 7/16" Run 10 1/2" rises 14 and runs of 13
    gives me total run of 136 1/2 " well that is a problem.. this would put me 40" into the dining room. I would like to have only 96" of total run length.. how am I going to accomplish this?? I am finishing off the attic, which I am told with only 2x6's and 1/2' plank board for the floor to just glue and screw 1/4" plywood down and then a light weight flooring over that..

Hopefully in the end I will have a master bedroom with lots of closets and a 1/2 bath.

Thanks for the help

Steve

The best I can see you doing is 11 risers @ 9-7/16" which would give you 10 treads @ 9-5/8" (Remember that your last riser is not on the stringer, but is part of the landing) If this is not good, then I'd say you need to come out into your dining room with possibly an open ended stair case with spindles would look nice.
    If you think a professional is expensive,
    Just see what till you see what an amature will cost you!!

Comment

Thank you for the help, I have thought of doing a small platform with two steps and then going up from there. I was looking at the top and realize that I have about 9" more I can push the stairs back giving me about 105 total run length.

Hopefully berfore I do this, a carpenter friend of mine will give me some thoughts on what I may be able to do.

Comment

Try this stair calculator. It draws the plan for you
        www .blocklayer.com/stairs/stairseng.aspx

(take the space out of the link)

Comment

Working...
        X
        =