Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinking /Leaning First Floor

My home is on concrete blocks (the basement area is enclosed with concrete block and only one entrance to this area and it is from the outside only. 3 or 4 months ago noticed the living room was going down hill a bit towards the front wall of the house(Area which is completely hidden by dirt, outside stairs, sidewalk, etc). Now the whole living room is leaning toward the front. Can anyone tell me what I need to fix this problem and is it fixable??? help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty major job for DIY

I would check out your local area for a company to do the job for you.

It basically involves huge hydraulic jacks to actually lift the house from the rim joists/joists up, then building up the foundation and finally lowering the house. An extremely difficult and dangerous job for a do it yourselfer.

There could be an underlying problem (pun intended) that has caused the leaning. Someone versed in Soil Mechanics should probably be consulted as well.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Good Luck!

Joseph
    You've got to love remodeling your Castle!

Comment

Take Joseph's advice and go with your building inspector and a reputable contractor. It may be a drainage problem or just soft ground soil below the frost line.

Comment

Sinking floors

Appreciate your reply. Sounds like this will be a major undertaking. Is there anyway possible that I can take care of / find the root of the problem myself. Sounds like a major financial undertaking. Is it possible to just buy posts and place in strategic areas where the floors are leaning?

Comment

You could get a few lally columns and gradually jack up the front end - a little each week. but I don't know how you'd get the columns up underneath the beam that supports the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Jewell View Post
            Appreciate your reply. Sounds like this will be a major undertaking. Is there anyway possible that I can take care of / find the root of the problem myself. Sounds like a major financial undertaking. Is it possible to just buy posts and place in strategic areas where the floors are leaning?

Due to your initial message, I’ve assumed that this problem incorporates both the wooden and concrete portion of your home. If not, then I’d start thinking either rot or pests, if so then read on.

The most serious problem area is the homes foundation, both in terms of indications and repair procedure. You've written a few sentences outlining your problem which is hardly enough to consider a cause or solution.

First you'll have to answer the question of causality before you can proceed with repairs that might otherwise become pointless. There's no way I can answer it from behind my keyboard.

A few questions that may help you answer this are:

How long have you owned the home?
            If it's been many years, has this been a gradual or sudden occurrence?
            Exactly how much pitch is present?
            Are there associated cracks in the foundation?
            Is it localized, or does it affect the entire dwelling?
            What kind of soil is in your area?
            Where’s the water table; are there any aquifers located nearby?
            Are there any local mining operations?
            Was your home built on a landfill?

As you can see above, someone versed in the mechanics of the soil in your local area should probably be consulted.

After you’re sure there’s no serious soil problem and that your pitch is caused only by normal settling (that’s occurred over many years), you’ll have to lift the wooden structure off the concrete foundation in the affected area, build up the foundation so it's level, and finally lower your home back onto its foundation.
            This is no easy task and many things must be considered prior to its undertaking.

Joseph
            You've got to love remodeling your Castle!

Comment

Jewell, what I had to do with a permanently "planted" trailer here, who front wall was literally caving in, was to lag bolt a 16 foot 2X12 to each stud, just above the supporting beam that was rotting. On top of this 2X12 I fastened another 16 footer (doubled up on it) with lag bolts. I then formed two footings of concrete 24 inches square and 18 inches deep on both ends. I then used two posts 6X6 on the ends and captured them to the 2X12's. I used two 100 ton bottle jacks and jacked up the trailer about a foot and a half. I did this to replace the beam which was for all intents and purposes rotted. Once the beam was out (I had to cut it out) I replaced the beam with an 18 foot 6X8 oak beam rough cut. I then let the trailer down onto the beam. (dropped it only 4 inches) and placed permanent posts about every 6 feet along the bottom. I then spiked each 2X4 into the new beam and removed the jacks. The doors and windows had to be fixed because they too settled onto the rotten beam. - Job cost about 18,000 dollars

Comment

Working...
              X
              =