Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowing Floor Joist

Hello all,

I have a tri-level home and Im planning on installing wood flooring in the mid level, where the kitchen and living room are.

The problem is that there is a bowed floor joist under the kitchen floor, causing a raised "arch-like" area in the kitchen. Another problem is that it seems that the apex of the arch is not in the center of the kitchen but closer to the foundation edge. I believe that the actual highest point in the arch is on the part of the floor directly under the sink (concealed by the cabinets).

When I go into the crawl space, it seems like the highest point in the arch is at the part where the joist is anchored (not at the support beam, but at the edge of the foundation wall) to the exterior of the house.

A flooring book I have says to use a recip saw to cut the joist 3/4 of the way through at the apex of the buldge and allow it to re-settle. Then a few weeks later add a sister joist.

I dont think this will work in my case though bc the buldge seems to be at the foundation wall, like the joist itself is just too big, compared to the other ones.

What are my options here? How hard is it to just replace the joist? Or is there a better way to fix it? Another complication is that there is plumbing close by.

Thanks in advance for the help!

One more thing. The joist is bowing upward, so its a lump i have in my kitchen floor.

Comment

since it is just one joist I really don't see a problem cutting it out and sistering another joist next to it. the rest of the floor load is supported by the other joists.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =