Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramin Tile Floor Prep

I want to put down ceramic tile in the kitchen, bath, and front entry. Right now the kitchen and bath have an old vinyl tile. I think it was before the self stick because I pulled up a tile and there is a spread adhesive on the plywood beneath. Can I leave this or do I need to get it all off and clean? It is very sticky and stuborn. If I need to clean it how would I do it? I can use the plywood as a base, correct?

I found some tutorials online but if you know a good one please post it.

Thanks

Anyone? I wanted to start this weekend. I also did some research and found that you need at least 3/4" ply over 16" joists without additional backer for the tiles to rest on. Correct?

Comment

Yes, 3/4" subfloor with cement board or ditra for underlayment is needed. This keeps the grout from breaking. Laying tile right on subfloor is not the way to go. You can try using wallpaper stripper to get the old glue up. The kind you mix with water works pretty well but it takes time. Soak some rags in it and lay over glue while you're taking up other tiles. Don't use anything flammable. Here is a real great forum for people who have questions on tile setting---lots of pros there to help you along. It's the John Bridge website.

Comment

before I laid floor tile in my bathroom shower pan, which is 3/4" OSB, joist spacing was 8 inches on center so I wouldn't get ANY flexing, I put down a layer of a sand/concrete mix in a ratio of 3 sand to 1 concrete and just enough of water to make a loose mix. This I put down and pounded it in place with a block of wood and a mallet. This set up overnight into a hard base. Then I used the quickset and tile, buttering each piece. For a floor your size this is sort of impractical so I'd go with the concrete board. It'll provide the teeth necessary to hold the quickset. allowing for tile spacing for floors 3/8-1/2 inch once the floor was down apply a good grout with a rubber float. wait a few days for the grout to set up and then examine the floor. if there's some cracks in the grout, make a thinner mixture of grout and water and hit it again filling in the cracks. then you should be good to go.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I read online that you should use quickset under the concrete board on top of the ply. Since quickset needs clean ply to adhere, I still need to clean the goop off even if I use concrete board, correct?

My understanding is this...
          Plywood base
          Quickset
          Concrete Board
          Quickset
          Tile

Comment

Working...
          X
          =