Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• self leveling compound?

I could not find any previous info on this. In the house we just bought the kitchen floor has settled and is now sloping. The tiles have separated about a quarter of an inch. The tiles we are assuming are asbestos and they are not being removed. Is it possible to put self leveling compound over the tiles to make the floor even? We will be installing engineered hardwood, floating. Thanks, we are first time DIYers.

I'm no expert either, which is why I have done a bunch of research over the last few days. I have found that things that help (OK are required) for using self leveling compounds are to have forms in on the walls and pipes, use the primer, use a guaged spreader (There are several types out there some have stiff wires on them or little wheel things on the side, but they all move over only a few points and then the compound settles in behind them).
    Since I only have one floor to do (albeit a big one) I decided to make my own spreader. I took a piece of 36 inch duct half, finished bending the corner and pinched it down tight, trimmed of the unneded part at the top, and then on the seam cut a 1/4 inch notch evry 1/4 inch and then bent over every other one, it looks like a long 1/4 inch notched trowel. I will put this in place of the squegee on the end of a pole. Theoretically I should end up with a 1/8 inch (except for the low spots) thich sheet of concrete across the whole floor.
    I'll write back later and let you know how it goes.

Comment

It came out great. There were a couple of spots where the mix didn't quite mix, but those are easy to remove, and the joints between the pours where a different bucket were used have a slight ridge but not too bad. Well on to the rest of the project in the morning.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =