Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to fix squeaking noise on hard wood floor?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fix squeaking noise on hard wood floor?

Hi there,
    My house has Oak hard wood floor which covers the four bedrooms and the hall wall. The previous owner put carpet over it. I removed the carpet and hired a guy to clean and put a new wax on it. The floor is still looking pretty good. The problem is when you walk on it, it makes some noise. I have seen some similar hard wood floors with that same problem and they fixed it by using nail gun to nail the hard wood floor to the sub floor.

Is that the only solution to fix this problem?
    Note: my sub floor is constructed with 2x6 wood through out the house.

Thank you.
    Trihai

See if you can find out exactly where or rather what area causes the squeek. The squeek could be caused by the boards moving past each other or the board(s) nails are loose. Most t&g boards are edge nailed at an angle to the tongue to the subfloor. Once you find the area - use a long 2" finishing nail, hammer it down flush then use a nailset to set it below the surface. Use a compatible filler to cover the nail head.

Comment

Hi would say that the floor has noise everywhere. It doesn't feel solid when you walk on it. Should I just put nail every two feet?
      Th

Comment

You could try that in one area first...it may just be worn or thin also

Comment

Another way to get rid of squeaks is to get a poof bottle and fill it with talcum powder. Walk on an area and try to pipoint the squeaky area and "poof" some talcum between the boards. The talc acts as a lubricant and when brushed away you can't hardly tell its there.

Comment

I would certainly try the recommended talcum powder remedy, as this is a tried and true techinique. You have to repeat periodically, but I had a squeek at one spot, in a place I lived in once, and actually used this method with success. You may prefer to live with some squeeks, rather than put a whole bunch of nails through the floor. If you have access to the underside of the floor, in a basement or crawl space, I belive it can be worked from there. A good carpenter, preferably a wizened old geezer, has probably seen this problem before and should have some ideas in that respect. In California, we are all on a slab, so I don't know much about what goes on in the basement!!!

Comment

Working...
            X
            =