Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Platon for flooring?

I am in the middle of a basement remodel and have decided to put down a laminate flooring. My basement floor is fairly level, a few dips here and there. There is going to be an L shaped bar and my 8 foot slate pool table on it. I have been doing some research on Platon Foundation Protector. They say it is a suitable underlayment for a laminate floor. It creates an air pocket and brings the floor to the same temperature as the room instead of the ground. I was wondering if anyone has used Platon for an underlayment and if it would be ok under my pool table. It says it has a crushing strength of 1000 lb/sq in. My pool table weighs about a 1000 lbs, so I think I will be ok there. Anyways any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

Here is a link to their website: Platon - Home - Foundation Protector

Platon is the air-gap waterproofing system that is effective for ALL types of foundations. It's a tough, dimpled, 24-mil high-density polyethylene wrap that seals out water and bridges inevitable foundation cracks (1/4"+) making foundation leaks a thing of the past.

Possible way to increase the Platon strength

I picked up some of this this afternoon as well. I wanted a way to install tile on a floor in my basement that didn't take up the extra room that DriCore does with the pre attached OSB (I am installing the DriCore in the rest of the basement as it has a 5000 lb/sq ft rating).
    But anyway to my thought, if you lay down the platon and then fill in the dimples on the top side with thinset, or some other cement based product (I was also considering quikrete concrete resurfacer, and a few others) and then install cement board over this (I am debating on weather one 1/2 inch panel or 2 1/4 inch ones would be better. Would seem to me that 2 1/4 incher's would help to decouple the tile from the floor to prevent cracks, but I digress). By filling in the dimples the platon wouldn't be able to colapse in on itself nearly as well. I doubt it would make it to the 5000 lb rating but I imagine it would be higher than 1000.

If anyone else has a thought on this let me know.

Also One other thought I have had is to take a masonry blade for my circular saw and periodically (I figure only a few on my 500 sq foot basement) make a channel tward the floor drain. These would only be about 1/8th inch deep (I'm not trying to make a river) and only 1 kerf wide, but since water seeks a level if it were to come through the walls againe (Yes outside measures are being taken too) it would tend to flow tward the drain.

Comment

<hi>

We mainly deal with laminate flooring mouldings, you might have interests in our wallbase ,reducer,t-molding,end cap and so on,Attached for your reference is our catalogue which will give you a basic idea about our factory and our products.
      for more information,you can visit our website:xiangrong dot com
      Should you have any further inquiries and or requirements, just let me know without any hesitation.
      Best regards.
      Yours

lynda

changzhou xiangrong decorated material ltd.
      Address: Henglin town, Changzhou city,
      Jiangsu province, China
      Tel: (86-519) 8721550
      Fax: (86-519) 8721722
      email:laminate-molding@hotmail.com
      site:xiangrongcn dot com
      msn:laminate-molding@hotmail.com
      Last edited by lyndaa; 09-05-2007, 01:32 AM.

Comment

The main purpose of underlay for laminate flooring should be moisture resistant since there are dips here and there. The temperature difference doesn't mean too much to laminate flooring.

Comment

looks like some interesting stuff, wish i had seen this a couple years ago..
          Is it beer thirty??

Comment

Even tough this post is older than my grandma..........I didn't think any laminate company's even offer a warranty on below grade installation !!
            Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
            Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =