Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood floors- the shine is gone... what can I do???

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood floors- the shine is gone... what can I do???

I am really lost on how to fix this problem. I have done lots of research and visited a couple of large chain home stores to help me deal with my hardwood floor issue. We moved into our home 2 years ago - the floors, which are oak hardwood are in the foyer, dining room, kitchen and bathroom, were shining and beautiful. Now, they look dull. I only spot clean the floors with a very dry damp cloth and that is all I have done. I am assuming that the floors had poly on them, but not sure. Plus, I dont know how the previous owner cared for them. OUr home is 8 yr. old.
    So today I bought the orange glo hardwood floor kit and I was very dissapointed in the outcome!!!! I just dont know what to do to bring the shine and protection back. Also, I always thought that Poly would stay on the floors for many years...
    How can I bring the shine back to my floors that wont be a big ordeal???
    Thanks for helping this hardwood floor novice...

Any good paste wax should do the trick. I'd recommend BUTCHER'S Bowling Alley Wax. You apply it with a damp cloth in small areas and buff it out with a power polisher. I bought a power polisher from Autozone for about $18.00

Comment

Maybe before the wax--especially if you have only spot cleaned before--try Murphy's Oil Soap to clean up whatever is on the old finish. It won't remove finish; makes even old worn floors look better just by removing built up dirt. It's cheap and available in supermarkets.

Comment

Well I think the only thing to do is put another coat of poly on it. They may have used a stain finish. I do not know of a thing to put a shine on a floor besides mop and glow.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =