Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor 'cracks' and 'pops' in cold weather

Hi all. I was wondering what my options were for this situation. I rent an apartment in an older building. We imagine it was built before 1900, as was much of this area of the city. It used to be one large house, but it was modified to hold seven different renters.

That said, here's what's happening. I have a neighbor who lives above me, and every time he steps on certain areas of his floor, it cracks and snaps incredibly loudly. It can be likened to the sounds house material connections/joins make from contraction due to cold weather/less humidity. And I'm guessing this is the cause of my problem as well, as this noise isn't a problem in the summer.

Now, I could just put up with the noise, except he gets up for work at 5:00 am, and the popping and cracking is so loud that it wakes me up every morning (this noise is centralized over my bedroom).

My question is, then, is there a solution for this? Since we rent, I only have access to his floor from above, which has a very low profile carpet over it. I have called our management company, but they're worthless and won't even try to fix it. So, is there anything I can do for myself?

OK, if the floor boards are accessible, just a throw rug not wall to wall carpeting, and you have good rapport with him/her, get some talcum powder in a poof bottle and find the central location of the pops n crackles. poof some talcum powder in the cracks of the boards and sweep up and remove what poofs over. in time the talcum powder will lubricate the boards or nail holes so it isn't so bad.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =