Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the walking path I'd just use paver base 4" thick at the site of each step paver and maybe make it about 4" bigger all round the paver.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Ok, I bought a square point shovel and graded the front pretty good. Yesterday it was pouring out for around 15 minutes. I watched the front and didn't see any of the water slide down the grade and away from the house. Keep in mind that right now it is still just hard tamped old black dirt. I assume once I put down the fabric and river rock it will help move it along better but should I be concerned?

I know I already asked you this but do you think I should use some 6 mill plastic instead of the fabric or should the fabric be good?

Comment

The grade is meant to take away excess water, a 15 minute downpour might night be enough to notice a great deal.
        I can guarantee you if you have at least 1/4" fall in every foot away from the house then your on the right track, it's even code compliant . Anything more than that is a bonus, but from your previous posts getting more would be very difficult.
        You can put down plastic to prevent 100% any water getting onto this area, but you will then have problems with "rushing" water and washing out any mulch etc...

Comment

ok, so fabric would actually be better? Today it rained for a while again and I noticed it pooling at the edge where I cut (where concrete edging will go) so it is getting the water farther away. My slope is WAY more than 1/4" per foot, I know that. I removed so much earth it is getting nuts that I only did it with a shovel. I only have about 5' left to do then I am done!

At the base of my slope where it meets the lawn I cut probably 6-8" deep. The concrete edgers that I want to be flush with the lawn (mow strip) are only, guessing 3-4". I was thinking I would put a 3-4" class 5 base under the edgers that need it, does that sound like a good idea? The other edgers I will just put on top of soil, is that ok?

I am going to have to get my river rock delivered, I need roughly 8 yards to fill the area I took out! Average of 4" deep with 70'X9' average. I also want to do it around my deck and shed as a "ramp" against all sides so my dog/other criters/leaves can't get under them. Therefore, maybe more like 10 yards!

Comment

Sounds good, seems like your almost to the finish line.

Comment

Geez, I just found out how pricey this is going to be...

A place has 2-4" (I think the bigger rock will look cool, very different) river rock for $44 per ton.

IIRC a yard of gravel weighs about 2800lbs so it is not even a yard.

Delivery charge is $80 and the truck can do 8 tons max.

She told me 1 ton will cover 70 sq ft at 3" deep.

I don't even think 8 tons will be enough, I may be able to make it last, not sure yet.

Total cost for just river rock would be $432!

Do you think the 2-4" would look good or would you go with 1.5-2"? They also have 3/4" but I don't think I want to go that small.

Then I will need about 200ft of edging at $1 ft.

This better look good when I am done

Comment

I figured you where rich, when I kept reading about your desire to use river rock , your right it is expensive, usually the bigger you get the bigger the price tag.
                One thing to think about is the bigger the rock, the deeper it needs to be laid to cover the weed mat or plastic (whatever your using as a cover).
                1.5-2" would do the job nicely if saving money is needed, though 3/4" would save a ton of money.

Comment

Ok, I called around 15 places and found a guy who has a trucking business and owns 20 ton capable trucks. He can get it 1.5" washed landscaping river rock for $25 per ton and a $80 delivery charge. After carefully calculating it out I found I will need about 11.5 tons! I guessed a little extra so I am getting 11 tons delivered today for $380 after tax.

I have another question for you...

The pictures on post #1 are in the basement on the backside of my house. The grade I am redoing is on the front and sides. My backyard has a deck I built and a concrete step and sidewalk that cover about 1/2 the length of the house. The sidewalk is from the house to about 4' out and has a good slope. The down spout for the gutters that takes care of all the water from my roof going into my backyard is over 16' long! I made it exit a little past my deck and into my yard. I never understood why the basement puddling came from the backside of the house when I have this scenario, I have never had water issues in the basement on the front side.

I was talking with a neighbor who has a very similar house and still has the well for outside water. She was saying that she gets it by her well too. Is this common? I have a little well room that houses a galvanized reserve tank, my pump is submersible and I assume is around 200' deep. Any ideas as to why this seems to happen near the well?

Thanks

Comment

going to build an extension that will severely limit

Hi, my next door neighbor is going to build an extension that will severely limit the light to my property. I have spoken to local planning officer etc but apparently it is a legal issue as the extension is too small to need planning permission. Does anybody know about party wall agreements? Or can anyone suggest any way to move this forward ideally without falling out with my neighbors?

Comment

You need to create a new thread...

Comment

The only thing I can think of is that wells by nature of their construction suck water through the ground to wards themselves (water would much rather be in a void than trapped in soil). This might be artificially raising your water table around the well.

Comment

I finished my egress window so now I can continue with landscaping on the side of the house. The dirt I moved for my egress is piled up on the side of my garage. The area I live in has about 8” of black dirt and then it is pure sand. Can I use this sand under my concrete edgers for the base or do I definitely need class 5? I am trying to avoid another $100 for a yard or two of class 5 plus delivery.

Comment

As long as the sand is "grainy" ( not like a fine silt) it will do just fine for your edging.

Comment

I pretty much finished all around the house. I now have some questions...

The rocks look great until I mow, grass clippings get over the bullet edgers and into the rocks. Also, leaves and sticks find their way into there as well. Is there an easy way to clean out the landscapping rock or do I need to walk around with a blower/vac?

Finally, the bullet edgers look great until the grass grows a little and starts to bend over and fall onto the edgers. I used this type of edger so I can put 2 wheels of my mower on them and I wouldn't have to use a weed wacker anymore which really isn't working. I was thinking maybe if I put a everything killer right next to the edgers. That would give me about 1" of soil between the concrete bullet edgers and the grass where nothing would grow.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comment

Bump,

Also, we are getting the winter thaw now...

again, on the West side of the house (right near the well expansion tank area) I am getting water coming up again. When I moved in 3 years ago the concrete paint looked great. I assume they painted when they were planning on selling because in 3 short years the paint is now torn and bubbled in that area (and I have graded and added gutters!) Basically, I am now looking for something I can do cosmetically to make it look better. I have never seen a sign of moisture on the black wall but it is always up from the slab. The concrete now looks worse than it did last year when I posted pictures to create this thread (page 1) I know that no paint will work, it is a area that we frequent though and I want it to look nice. Any ideas?

By the way, we have vinyl stick tiles in that same area (about 20' away from the well expansion tank) and they are fine. On the other side of the house I used the plastic stand off membrane material and have carpet, again, no issues.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                =