Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpet Removal - Asbestos?

Hello,

My wife and I started removing some old carpet tonight (70's?) and found a white powdery substance between the carpet padding and old hardwood floor. We aren't quite sure what it is. Any ideas would be appreciated. We're of course cautious about asbestos. Are we too concerned?

Here are some pics:

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks.

- Matt

Only way to find out is to FIRST, soak the substance with water with a little bit of detergent in it as a surfactant, then scrap up the substance and take it in a sealed baggie to an asbestos testing facility. Asbestos which is a natural mineral is friable meaning it breaks up into minute fibers that won't dissolve in acid. Have them examine it under a microscope - its the only way you'll know if its asbestos.

Comment

Thanks. Wouldn't I risk being exposed if I do this testing myself? Also, how can I find a testing facility in my area?

What I found strange is that it was between the carpet foam backing and the hardwood floor. I don't see why there would be asbestos between the two. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Comment

one other possibility is that the backer (foam pad) is rubbing against the floor finish and is creating a dust much like sandpapering the floor. varnish and urethane when sanded gives off a white dust. if you are squeemish about it get a particulate mask while you are getting a sample and wash your hands thoroughly when you are done.

Comment

I see a lot of this white powder in renovations and almost always when foam carpet padding is/was used. I had some tested once and it was found to be like Hayzee suggested a combination of the foam underlay and dust.
          The old foam carpet padding they used to use breaks down and eventually it will all return to the white powder you are seeing, after all, that's what it started out as.

Still make sure to wear a mask, especially if you or your wife have any breathing problems.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks, really appreciate this feedback! Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I suppose that's a good thing. We were so excited to see wood flooring under the carpet being removed, but weren't quite sure what to make of the powder. The carpet is pretty old and it is sitting on some kind of foam, so this would make sense. I have never seen old carpet as nasty as this before.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =