Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Living Room floor dips/sinks when walked on....

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living Room floor dips/sinks when walked on....

HI there,
    I have noticed that the floors in our 8yr. old home 2-story are quick squeaky. In our Living Room, the main traffic area is quite noisy and the floor 'dips' down- like a 2x2 section. It feels like the floor cant support the weight. The rest of the LR floor is carpeted. When in the basement my husband can see the subfloor bending. He said the boards are glued to the beams. How in the world can we fix this?????
    When upstairs, the bedrooms/bathroom floors squeak. Can this be fixed from the top down?? I wouldnt want to go from underneath since our kitchen/LR is under it with a finished ceiling. Any thoughts to calm this frazzled homeowner?? Cost???

If the boards are glued to the beams then the squeaking should be very minimal if at all.
    What your husband may be seeing is movement at a joint between two sheets, right in between the floor joists, this can be helped by simply cutting a piece of wood that matches the size of the existing floor joists (2"x10" for example), applying glue to the upper surface and fitting it in between the floor joist under the joint and then attaching it to the existing floor joists on either side by nails (from the other side) or screws.

Your bathroom may be a whole different beast to fix, without removing drywall from below the only way to help fix the squeaks is from above and that usually means dealing with tiles.
    The bedrooms are a little easier, but it will envolve the pulling back of the carpet and using screws to fasten down the sub floor to the floor joists, the best screws to use are exterior 1 5/8" (they wont snap off) follow the nails in the sub floor and put screws in every 10" - 12" then simply have the carpet reinstalled (should cost all that much).

In many cases builders use nails to hold down a sub floor because it is quicker (with a nail gun) some nails will over time work their way loose and there ya go....squeaks !!
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks so much for your speedy reply. I will forward this info on to my husband and I may be back for more help!!
      Thanks again!!!
      barb

Comment

Working...
      X
      =