Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Solutions Laminate Flooring Install

Hello,

I'm new here. Decided to register after snooping around and reading a fair number of comments about Simple Solutions Laminate flooring products. I have a question.

I read by a member that this product should not be installed in a basement. My house was built in 2002. My installation will be on level and solid concrete (no damage, no leaning or slant). The basement has seen water - once a pipe froze and ruptured - but otherwise, does not see water at all. We found the product at Sam's Club for a $1.27 a sq.ft. We have shopped around and feel that is a pretty good price.

I am an average guy with average mechanical skills - I do not have any plans to put carpet back down nor will I "build" or install anything more complex than a snap-lock type of flooring material.

Is this product okay to install in my basement? What other flooring options are there that are okay for a basement install?

Thanks!

Jim

You "can" put "anything" anywhere, the question would be, Is it wise ? and my answer to that question would be without a doubt NO.
    No company gives a warranty for below grade installation of laminate flooring. It's not the moisture you see that is the problem it's the moisture you don't see. Under all concrete work in basements their is moisture, this slowly is absorbed by the concrete and held in the concrete. Often a clue is if you leave a piece of plastic on the floor with a weight on it after some time there will be either a change in the concrete color (slightly darker) or visible moisture between the plastic and the concrete.
    If you install a vapor barrier then lay the laminate what you will create is a mold growth haven, if you install directly on the concrete your laminate "will" absorb moisture and will fail. How long this takes can be from a week or so to 6 months.
    Most often finished basements are tiled or for a much cheaper by great look there are many different paint style products that can be applied and there are a variety of finishes, from color and texture.
    One of the concrete companies I've seen are now doing stained concrete in basements (applied on top of preexisting concrete).
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Hello,

I appreciate your answer and your help with my learning.

I did not think there was any moisture, but how you explained this makes perfect sense. I will put down some plastic, then put something on it and let it set for a few days to see what happens.

I am planning on painting on a concrete sealer to cover spots where an old cat made her mark. I purchased a product called "Kilz" -- it is an odor and concrete sealer. We were told to put this down to ensure no other animals make their mark where the old cat made hers. The product is an oil-based sealer.

Will this make a difference?

Thanks again,

Jim

Comment

The Kilz will cover the cat stain and help "mask" the smell, It will not water proof the concrete.

My point with the plastic test wasn't to assure you that if you did it and found no readily see able moisture that you would be safe to install laminate flooring in your basement.
        Moisture doesn't have to be seen to be there, the basement floor is touching earth, the earth is always wet (varying degrees of wetness), concrete is porous, concrete absorbs moisture.

Again I reiterate, The manufacturers give no warranty for laminate flooring installed below grade ie: basements, there is a simple reason why and that reason is summed up in three words ....."moisture" and "product failure".
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =