Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub-Floor Repair and Prep

I am currently giving my kitchen a face lift and I want to pull up the old ceramic tile that is in bad shape. When I pulled up one tile in the corner I found that the tile was just put on top of a plywood sub-floor. I has no kind of underlayment at all for the kitchen area. I want to make sure I do the job right. Although I am not sure exactly what the replacement floor will be either laminate wood flooring that is good for kitchens or vinyl peel and stick tile, I know that the sub-floor needs to be repaired if I find any water damage need to be properly prepared with a underlayment/barrier. When I pull up these tiles what should my next steps be and what advice can be given on materials that should be used for kitchen floors. Thanks in advance for any and all advice that is received

After the tiles are removed you need to assess the floor if you find it is rotted or needs replacement then your job just became a little harder.

The basic sub floor should be a min. of 5/8" and NEVER glue tile to ply or any sort of wood base.

If no repair is needed then BEFORE you start to lay ANY flooring material you need to make sure ALL previous floor tile glue has been removed and your starting with a flat surface.

If it were me I'd always go laminate flooring over peel and stick tile, good quality laminate is much better let alone the re sale value it adds over "peel and stick".
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks so much Pushkins for the advice. I thought it was strange to see only plywood under tile. Thanks for the verification on that. I was also thinking wood laminate to go all the way through to the dining area. What do you suggest for the underlayment after I make sure the plywood sub floor is alright. Would it be OK to place a thin sheet of additional plywood followed by a tar paper. Which in my research seems to be what could be used. (the same as they use on roofing installation). In my findings and research for a wood laminate I found a few that have a life time residential warranty as well as being secure against water. Any advice is appreciated. ;-)

Comment

After you have checked the sub floor and made any repairs that are needed you should be able to just roll out the felt paper (tar paper). As long as the sub floor is flat and in good shape there really wouldn't be any need of the extra ply. The felt paper is only used as a vapor barrier.

Check the laminate that you like, many times now a days good quality laminate will come with a vapor barrier and padding attached to the laminate floor boards.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =