Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Psycho0124 View Post
    Any tips on assuring a really good seal with a lavatory wax ring?
    By this I meant I was looking for a good leak-proof seal rather than a way to use the wax ring to support the toilet (more the job of the floor and flange bolts as you said). I used one of the rings with the plastic reducing flange with no problems (had to replace the tank-to-bowl bolts due to some slight leaking though). I was just fishing for any extra tricks that might be out there to assuring a long-term and reliable seal. The toilet sits firmly on the floor and is properly secured with closet bolts. The metal+pvc replacement flange is secured with 6 screws and small (flush) washers to both the floor and 2 joists below so it is very stable.

Now if my hands would just heal up. Little burrs on the threads of all those screws I used really shredded my fingertips. I'll probably have a few little shreds of this Gorilla Glue stuck to my hands for weeks to come as well. Oh well. At least its done!
    If man makes it, man can fix it!

Comment

I had an install where the toilet actually floated on the pipe. If some one sat down on it - it would go to the floor. as soon as they got up the toilet would float slightly above the floor. but the wax ring sealed the toilet to flange connection. I think it makes more sense to imagine a rather large flange to flange pipe connection. say you have an eight inch pipe which you are joining to another eight inch pipe. you'd have either a screw on flange on both pipes or a weld on flange with 6 bolts to bolt up the connection. in the middle is a rubber gasket. you bolt up the connection and the gasket seals the two flanges. same as the toilet only instead of another pipe flange you have the toilet's porcelain to make the seal to.

Comment

That's sorta how most toilets are in other parts of the world, a big rubber boot joins the toilet waste pipe to the sewer pipe.
        Personally I like that idea MUCH better than horrible wax rings.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

bathroom

It's great that you have such sturdy framing to start with. Upload some pics!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =