Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-mixed mortar

Has anyone ever used the pre-mixed mortar sold by the big box stores? I have traditionally used the Part A/Part B mortar that must be measured and mixed manually. I am going to install some tile in a bathrooom at my parents house, and thought that using the pre-mixed stuff might save me some time and effort. But, if it the quality of the mortar is not as good, I'll stick to with what I've used in the past.

Thanks
    Jon

I thought about that when I was doing my shower pan but then the cement sand ratio wasn't right so I used seperate sand and cement. ratio is about three sand to one cement and its mixed with enough water to make a damp, not watery mix and tamped into place with a 2x4 and a mallet. pitch the cement towards your drain and use some hardware cloth right in the midle of the cement/sand layer.

Comment

you know, sometimes I use the wrong terms. Sorry about that...

I am putting down floor tiles, so what I am using is "thinset" not "mortar". Just the stuff to put the tiles on the floor. I don't need to build up a shower pan (although I know what you mean).

So, to clarify, do you have an opinion on the pre-mixed thinset?

Thanks
      Jon

Comment

I'd use the dry powder and mix the water with it. this way you can vary the consistency of it. don't forget to use the notched trowel 1/4 to 3/8 inch notches.

Comment

I end up doing a lot of tile work and for 90% of the work it is far better to get yourself a small bag of mortar and mix with water or the additive and as Hayzee says you can get it to a consistency that you can work with. Now if you have just a couple of square feet to do then economics suggests a small tub of the pre mixed stuff.
          Make sure you get the mortar that has the flex additive in it, a bag of decent mortar should cost around $20-$30 then you just need to add water, no other additive is required.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I've recently done a lot of tiling in my house (three rooms and a hallway) and researched the matter thoroughly. I was warned that if the installation has any chance of coming into contact with water, to keep away from that pre-mixed stuff. It will re-emulsify if gotten wet. That means that it will revert back into its semi-liquid form and lose all strength and rigidity.

Use the powder that you mix with water or additives. It's really not much harder and is a much better installation.
            Dan

Comment

It depends what the job is. The quality of the premixed is never as good as what you can mix yourself. However, if you are just replacing a few tiles and they are not in an area where they will get wet, you can get away with premixed. With a larger job or any chance of contact with water mix it yourself - you will be glad that you did. It's easy to mix the stuff, the only real annoying part is lifting the bag and storing what you do not use.

Comment

pre mixed mortar

pre mixed mortar is generally good stuff. I have used several brands for both deck mud and fat mud.
                some are more coarse which works great for cold weather or thick floats.
                every once in awhile I got a bad bag which was too sandy but it won't anything...just harder to float with.

Keep in mind most tilesetters like rich mud that has alot of cement...problem is that it shrinks alot which then creates small cracks which are more of a visual problem than structural.

bagged mud is fine, just make sure there are no clumps that were from getting wet...avoid any cement contend bag that got wet

ceramictilepro

Comment

Working...
                X
                =