Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parkay floor repair

The floor is 30 years old and in perfect condition. A few squares got some water under them and caused them to warp and buckle. I found the leak and fixed it and now the boards dryed and are permenently buckled and need replaced. Any advice would be helpful because this will be new to me and the floor is beautiful.

Matching the rest of the floor may be the hardest part with this.
    But assuming you have replacement squares, the first thing you'll do is remove the damaged tiles without pulling up the other good ones. Parkay squares are attached to each other by tounge and groove then glued to the subfloor. The water has probably loosened the glue already so now you have to separate the damaged squares. Do this by cutting the tounge and groove on two adjacent sides. You could use a utility knife carefully running the blade through the crack again and again until you've cut through. Once you've got two adjacent sides free, lift that corner up and slide out the square. Now to put in the new. First get the proper adhesive, scrape off any old glue and clean the surface. Your probably not going to be able to fit in the new square as is because the tounge on one side is going to be in the way. You'll have to cut off this tounge with the utility knife or a table saw if you have one. Try dry fitting the square before you apply any glue. I wouldn't put it completely in because it may be hard to get it out. Just fiddle with it until your confident you'll be apply to push it all the way in. If it's not going in, you may have to cut off some more tounge from either the new tile or the surrounding tiles. Obviously the less you cut off the more secure your new tile will be. Spread your glue with a notched trowel or make rows of glue lines. It might be handy to have some "Goof Off" standing by to clean up any mess without fogging the finish of the floor. Now put something heavy on the new square and let it set over night.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =