Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finishing unfinished pine stairs

I just ripped up the carpet on my staircase and I found unfinished oak slabs. I'd like to finish them myself but I don't know the process. Can someone explain how this is done. Thanks .

Being steps you are going to need a small hand sander (orbital) and several grades of sandpaper to fit the sander. Depending on how good/bad the wood is you might want to start with 120 grit paper if they are in good condition or 60 grit if they are in bad condition, sand down the entire tread, then change the paper out for 220 and repeat the process until you get the smooth finish that you desire. The finer the sandpaper the better the finish will be.
    After you have sanded the entire set of treads vacuum them well and then wipe down with a tack cloth (available at all big box stores), now your going to need a polyurethane with a finish you like (gloss, satin etc...etc...), and follow the instructions on the can.

One thing to remember is....NEVER try to rush the process of sanding or applying the polyurethane
    , it is much easier to take a little longer sanding and applying the finish than it is to do a quick/bad job as it will show 10 fold.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =