Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prep for concrete stain

Hello,
    I am preparing to apply a concrete stain to my basement floor. There was carpet before and the concrete nails in the carpet tacks left divots around the perimeter of the basement. Most of these are very small but a few are somewhat big. What is the best way to fill these holes? I am guessing it is some type of Quikrete but wanted to make sure. I'm worried the Quikrete will respond differently than the existing concrete and there will be a lot of discoloration. Are there any other alternatives? I have considered not filling the divots but have a feeling that would look bad as well. Any thoughts?

You can use quikrete to repair the holes you are going to need their resurfacing product (red bag) since your holes are very small in reality. You may well need to use a bonding agent as well, just painted onto the divot prior to applying the patch to give extra holding power.
    Your main problem is going to be the acceptance of the stain, your right the original concrete will accept the stain a little different to any new concrete/patch added, there is little you can do to stop this, it won't be a great deal different and most of your holes from the tack strip should be in corners so it shouldn't be a big problem.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I like to mix my own patch using 1 part portland cement and 2 parts fine sand. It takes the acid stain a lot better.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =