Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak floor repair an finish....

The oak floor in our old house was refinished 2 years ago. While moving a cast iron radiator a scratch/gouge was put in the floor - part of it has just scratched the varnish and some goes through the varnish and onto/into/through the stain.

I have the original stain so I can replicate that. BUT, what do I need to do to fix this scratch/gouge? I can sand the varnish as needed, and restain as needed, but I'd like to get the repair to match as perfectly as possible.....

I don't know if it'll make things easier, but we need to put the third coat of varnish on the whole floor - it currently has coats of semi-gloss, and we were told to add a topcoat of satin. SO, what do I need to do to make this topcoat as perfect as possible? Do I need to scuff the varnish on the whole floor? Or can I just clean and put down the top coat?

finish your floor as normal. flow the floor finish into the area of your gouges AFTER you sand and re-stain the area. try to feather it way out from the gouge marks, then use the floor finish heavily in that one area.

Comment

Cool...... I'll give it a try....

As far as the second part - putting the third coat on the floor after 2 years... Do I need to scuff everything or can I just clean the floor and apply the third coat?

Comment

well, you need some "teeth" for the new finish to "bite" into. scruffing with 00 steel wool willl give you that. its up to you! I know its a lot for a floor area - that's up to you.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =