Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stairway stringer choice

Hi all, we are remodelling our basement stairs and walls. I am trying to decide how to finish the stairs - ie, what stringer setup to use. The stairs will likely have wainscot on both sides, so I'm waffling between closed stringers (as the rest of the house uses), or open stringers with the treads butting the wainscot. I think the first option is a better choice, but the 2x12 lumber around here is hardly clear and I'm concerned about the appearance when finished (it will be painted, though). The second option sounds easier, but I think fitting all the butt joints will be time-consuming and tedious. In that case, would it make sense to create a skirt that I can screw the treads/risers to from the back? Just wondering about your thoughts on which stringer will look nicer (this is the most frequently used entryway) and be simpler to install (I don't consider routing the closed stringers overly challenging). Thanks!

Without a doubt, closed stairs are MUCH more polished and better looking than open stairs. If this is "just" a basement then it probably wouldn't matter, but since you said your "finishing" the basement then you would be well advised to close in the stairs and in doing so add a closet under the stairs, once you close in the steps that only leave two sides to close in with a door for valuable closet space.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

ok, drop a line with a plumb bob from the stringer edge to the basement floor. mark a line on the floor the length of the stringer and bolt a 2X4 to the floor using long TAP-CON anchors. Use your wainscotting cut at an angle almost to the back edge of the stair treads and flush with the floor. do this the whole length of the stringer. When you are finished run a moulding on top of the wainscotting and along the floor.

Comment

The basement will not be finished, but because this stairway is often (unfortunately) the first thing anyone sees in the house, I would like it to be at least presentable. Any thoughts on lumber for the stringers? Regular pine/fir 2x12s, or is hardwood more common? I'll be using green boards attached to the basement floor for footers, etc. Thanks again for the quick replies!

Comment

Working...
        X
        =