Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to support joists to repair beam

I have a kitchen floor on a small single-story home that needs considerable work.

What the water damage didn't get, the termites did.

I've removed 3 or 4 joists from one side of the beam, but a portion of the beam itself needs to be replaced due to termite damage. What is the best way to support the joists on the other side while I repair the beam?

I was thinking of using concrete blocks, topped with a 4x4 perpendicular to the joists to support them while I cut out the beam.

I'll then use galvanized hangers to attach the joists to the beam and put a new floor down.

Does this sound reasonable to anyone besides me?
    I've included a photo.

Thanks,

Mitch

You could marry a new board to it, use 1/2 carriage bolts with washers.
    Is it beer thirty??

Comment

Get two adjustable lally columns, a 4x4, a demolition saw-z-all with a metal cutting blade. use the concrete blocks for a base on the ends of the beam. put up the 4x4 parallel with the beam and use the lally columns on the 4x4. if you want to remove the beam (which I think you said you wanted to) use two sets of lally columns, blocks and 4x4. snug up the columns (jacks) to the 4x4's and give them another quarter turn. use the saw to cut the nails holding the joists to the beam and remove the beam. put the new beam in place and use the joist hangers to hold the joists to the new beam. carefully back off the lally columns and see where the joists line up on the top of the beam you may need to shim the joist a little to bring it even with the beam, then nail or screw the hanger into the joist.

Comment

Yep, gotta agree, 4x4's and some lally's on either side to support the remaining joists, cut out the joist nails cut out the beam (right on halfway on that pier) You might want to have the new beam sit on a piece of treated lumber on the pier as well. Or better still use treated lumber to make your beam.
        All builds and remodels I do I always use treated lumber under wet areas, like bathrooms, kitchens and laundries right down to treated flooring material, for the cost difference it's well worth it.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Where would be a good place to get the two lolly columns I need? Most likely, this is the only time I'll need them - so I'd prefer to rent them rather than buy them if possible.

Also, what is the best material to use for the subfloor since it's under a bathroom and kitchen? Pressure-treated plywood or something else?
          I'll have vinyl flooring for the floor covering.

Thanks,
          Mitch

Comment

You might be able to rent them at a rental store like home depot (in some states) you can buy them for about $20 each looks like you'll need the up to 4' size.
            If you want you could use a small bottle jack to slightly lift the floor joists 1/4" would be enough then pack something under to 4x4 support beam then let it down and do the same on the other side, just to take the weight off the bearer beam. Then repair the main beam, then the reverse of the above to remove the temporary supports.

As for the flooring material you could use 3/4" treated ply and as your using vinyl as the floor covering you will need to add 1/8" flooring ply over the top. The reason for the 1/8" sheeting is that it is specifically made for vinyl attachment and is super smooth.
            Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
            Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =