Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indoor Pool Cover

Looking for some idea on a semi-permanent indoor pool cover. My elderly in-laws have had this in their home for over 30 years and it is no longer used due to health issues. The empty pool is a 13'x21' oval, steel plate walls, vinyl liner, 4-10' deep. The pool deck area is concrete slab with brick laid flat around the pool perimeter, flush with the concrete. As an alternate to filling it in, we would like to cover this area with a wooden floor for use as living area and to keep the empty pool for any future owners.

One solution suggested is to build a floor on top of the pool deck, wall-to-wall. This would be ok, however once installed the headroom would be reduced from 7'-4" to around 6'-6". Another idea is to install joist hangers on the bricks, to make the floor flush to the concrete, using those made for masonry. But the cost, $25-30 each (Simpson IMMT), is too expensive. Steel bar joists might be an option, but not sure of the cost.

I know, I know - "Fast, easy or cheap....pick any TWO."

use 2X3s and make a framework that goes on the bottom of the pool floor. where the floor angles towards the deep end, build this framework so it matches the diving end angles and comes up even with another framework that comes up sightly lower than the edge lip. custom cut 3/4 inch marine plywood and fasten it to the framework. lay some more plywood but in a different direction, say, the first layer in a north-south direction and the other in an east west configuration.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =