Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good tool for lifting tiles... Dremel Multi-Max?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good tool for lifting tiles... Dremel Multi-Max?

We recently had a complete remodel of our master bath. Unfortunately the ceramic tile floor squeaks (didn't before). The contractor used nails to install the cement board and no adhesives. To make the long story short, I think I will have to lift some tiles, screw down cement board properly and maybe cut out portions of board and apply adhesive in addition to the screws. Question: I have 1/16" grout lines and not a lot of extra tiles of the same lot left. I will need to be careful lifting the tiles. I think the Dremel 6300-01 120-Volt Multi-Max Oscillating Kit may be the tool for the job. What are your thoughts. But kindly please spare me from questions on why the contractor is not fixing it promptly and correctly ... I'm still working on that but my hope is dwindling...

First of all don't touch the floor until you have some sort of resolution with your contractor, if you so much as move one tile you basically tel him/them off the hook. If I were you I'd only start repairs once you have given up on any contractor related repairs.
    That said, it's never an easy thing to remove tiles that are installed correctly, he may not have glued and screwed the backer board down but tile glue to backer board does glue well, so unless you have spare tiles to cover any and all tiles you may break, you may first want to look at getting some spare tiles BEFORE you start.
    There really is no easy and safe way to remove tiles a multi tool is only going to reach under a couple of inches at best. I find that once you have one tile out a good quality steel scrapper is about as good as any to remove them, once one tile is out you can hammer the in under the tiles and get a leverage on them. BUT as mentioned it's kinda cross your fingers and try make sure you have spare matching tiles before you start.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks pushkins

All good points. I do intend to keep working with my contractor.

Comment

tile....

Is it possible to heat the tile to help release the bond? Or is it grout that holds it rather than a mastic?

Comment

I wouldn't think that the grout is the issue, the bond would be created by the mortar, mortar being portland cement based won't be effected in any way by heat.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =