Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help w/ reducing moister in sub-floors.

Hi, I am trying to find information on how to deal with a moister problem in my sub-floors. Unlike many of you braver soles, I am having hardwood floors installed by a local company. In the process, they identified the fact that I have between 11% and 16% moisture content in my sub-floors. This is not only impacting the types of flooring products I can choose from, but also is a concern for me for molds, dry rot etc. I'm no expert, but here are some details. I have a 30 year old, single level home with a raised foundation. The house sits at the base of a large hill which, when saturated by rain, pushes water underneath my foundation and up into my crawlspace (surface run-off is handled well). Most of this water then flows down to the low point of the foundation and is pumped out by a sump pump. In very wet times, some of the water does collect in small pools. Fortunately, I have pretty good air circulation and do not have any visible water damage on the substructure of the home (so I've been told), but obviously, I've got a problem given the moisture content (which has been measured on three separate occasions after both dry and wet weather with consistent results). The flooring company believes they have found a couple products that will work under these conditions and I'm OK with what I've seen (there's a nice looking bamboo product that can handle up to 18%), but I really what to the resolve underlying problem to protect my investment, house, and family. I've talked with the flooring company and one concrete contractor. Here's what I've heard are my options: 1) install a French Drain at the base of the raised foundation (the estimate I got was $8,800!), 2) "Rat Proof" the crawlspace (from what I understand this means laying heavy tarp on the ground and putting a rough layer of concrete on top of it - $2,000), 3) Tack up tarps to the bottom of the substructure, 4) some combination of these. I like to know if any of these will actually work, if there are other options, and what type of professional l should talk to do this work. Also, if a moister barrier is used on top of the sub-floor and underneath the new floor as part of the installation, will this increase the moisture content? I'd greatly appreciate any help this forum could offer.

Well, you do have a lot of options. It really depends on how much money you want to spend and how long you are going to live in the house. The cheapest way would be to buy a fan that circulates the air and removes it from the basement. You can also go with laminate floor that looks like hardwood. If money isn't a problem, I would put in a french drain and use a sealant to keep out moisture. If you use a moisture barrier on your sub-floor and do not have a circulation problem, I believe that your moisture content will remian the same. Also, get multiple quotes and references. I think you'll be fine going w/ the moisture barrier on your sub-floor and running a unit that exhausts the damp air.

Comment

Have you considered purchasing a dehumidifier? Whirlpool makes an energy saver model - we run it 24/7 in our basement and it really helps.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by krovno

Hi, I am trying to find information on how to deal with a moister problem in my sub-floors. Unlike many of you braver soles, I am having hardwood floors installed by a local company. In the proces....

Just a thought have you ever had your home tested for radon? Yes I know you think I am nuts but hear me out. If your home tests above 4pc/l the EPA recommended action level you will need to install a mitigation system. Now here is why this is cool for your moisture problem. The system will seal your crawlspace. Then it will have a fan attached creating a vacum under the membrane. Not only does it remove radon it also "seems" to dry out the the moisture level in the crawl space.

By the way hope ya don't have radon. Good luck!

Helping you come home.
        Newnan Georgia home inspectors and Thorough Inspections realizes that the purchase of a home is probably the largest and most exciting investment you will ever make. It is difficult to remove any emotional attachment you may have for a home due to it's location, style, setting, etc. A home inspection will help you learn as much as you can about the property you are considering buying in an effort to help you make a more informed decision as a buyer.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =