Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cermic Tile Tear out

Hi -
    I am remodeling my kitchen. The new cabinets have a different footprint than what is currently there, and after I renovate the cabinets/counters/appliances, I plan to install a new floor anyway. So, I think it's best if I tear out the floor that is there now.

Any suggestions on the most efficient way to do this? It is cermic tile installed on cement board. Cement boards are screwed into the sub-floor.

I spent a little time chipping away at it with a pry bar and hammer, but that takes a long time to get anywhere.

Thanks
    Jon

A lot of it is going to depend on how well it was put down, particularly if the cement board was installed over a bed of thinset. Additionally, the type of cement board used will determine how difficult of a job you'll have.

If the existing floor runs underneath the cabinets, you're going to have a very difficult job getting all of it out. It would be much easier to do after the cabinets are gone.

I would start by using a large pry bar, like this one: FATMAX 36 In. Wrecking Bar - 55-104 at The Home Depot

Try to hammer the short end underneath the cement board if you can. The longer bar should give you enough leverage to pry it up. If you have a cement-based CBU like Durock or Permabase, it'll probably crumble away around the screws. A fiber-based CBU like Hardibacker will break off in larger chunks.

It's kind of a trial and error thing until you find what works best. If you're lucky, it's a poor installation that will come out easily. Be prepared for a lot of dust, and hang plastic over the doorways to adjacent rooms.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Kman View Post
      If you're lucky, it's a poor installation that will come out easily.

Good luck.
      Ha Ha , that made me laugh, how often in life do you actually "HOPE" for a previous bad install ?
      lol
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Every time I do a demo. Every single time.

Comment

Well, the fiber-based CBU like Hardibacker will break off in larger chunks.

Comment

Brute force And be happy it wasn't installed in a mud set with diamond mesh. Once you have got a foot hold, you might try a Shingle Shovel. They use them for tearing off roofing shingles. I'm sure they have them at the Depot.

Good Luck,

Buck

Comment

Don't forget to wear a dust mask

Comment

Originally posted by Kman View Post
                Every time I do a demo. Every single time.
                You would not be dissapointed in my kitchen. Paid 5k for a tile job and have had numerous cracks and grout coming out. It was laid on cement board and the floor was floated in one low area; but still cracks. Next time I go with wood; I've had nothing but trouble with ceramic.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =