Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grout cracking from the cold weather

I have a ceramic floor that is laid on a cement slab its about 40 foot long. About 15 feet from one end, the grout is seperating from the tile due to the recent cold weather. Would using a caulk instead of grout in this section of floor solve the problem.

Thanks Dave

Are you meaning the grout seams are breaking down? Or are the tiles themselves separating from the slab? If the tiles are coming loose, is it because of moisture through the concrete is lifting the bond? You say it may be due to the recent cold temps....any chance of insulating the footings around that slab? Using a 3" rat wall shovel against the wall, you could make a neat trench about two foot down and lay in some of that 2" thick pink styrofoam. Cut a 4x8 in half and lay down the eight foot lengths and set the dirt back against it. 'Coarse ya'd have to wait for the spring thaws!! Using something different than the grout would/could be a different color and texture and may not be aesthetic.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Bob. The grout is breaking down, my tile in this area is still intact. No chance of insulating the footer where i live however.

Comment

I wonder, then, if maybe that area had a poor application of grout. Or possibly wasn't sealed well. Clean out all the loose grout. There's a neat tool for removing grout, by the way. Dremel has a nice little attachment, too. Once that's all brushed and vacuumed, apply new grout, wait for it to cure, and get grout sealer and apply that to all joints, old and new. Hopefully that will be a fix. ... I'm hard pressed to believe it was a temperature issue for the grout to fail, but the tile would stay on the substrate. Gut feel is poor grout in that area.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =