Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T&G wood on 'crete....

The house is on a slab. I want to remove ALL the old stuff down to the cement and do the job right. My plan is to lay plastic sheet down, covered by t&g 3/4 OSB. The OSB will be Hilti'd in place. Then apply the hardwood t&g. How long to let the new flooring acclimate before install? Three days? Two weeks? Should there be rosin paper under the hardwood? Any other suggestions?

why not "float" a bamboo floor? slats snap together. check out lumber liquidators.

Comment

If it were me, it's not but if it were I'd level the existing concrete out first (if it needed it and it probably does) with concrete leveler. I would use nothing less than Advantech 3/4" flooring, it's moisture stabilized so any moisture like a dropped drink won't effect it. If you use plastic over the concrete then there is no need for the rosin paper, make sure the plastic is 6mil.
      As for the flooring material make sure it acclimatizes at least a week in the rooms it will be used. Because your on slab with at best a 3/4" nailing surface your going to have to use staples. I'm not a huge fan of staples, flooring nails have a much better hold, but if you place the staples closer together (6"-8") you should be OK.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Personally, I would not install plywood over a slab without a moisture barrier installed over the slab. While you are planning to put plastic down, you are also planning to puncture a number of holes in it to secure it to the slab. Over time, moisture migration and hydrostatic pressure can work on your subfloor and cause rot.

If you can afford the extra height, a sleeper system might work better for you.

Comment

Re: T&G wood...

I agree with HayZee518 why don't you try the "float" a bamboo floor its a good advice..

Comment

The sleeper method mentioned above would be the best alternative assuming you have the room to do so. It can get expensive to move doors, cabinets and fixtures to accomidate the extra height. Prep on the concrete as Pushkin mentioned is also advisable.

Good Luck,

Buck

Comment

Working...
            X
            =