Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flooring for a basement rec room

My basement flooded in July. There was carpet and padding down there so we had to rip all of it out. (3/4 finished)

The flooring in most of the basement under the carpet and pad were these ugly peel-and-stick tiles (most likely from the 70s). Some are missing. Then the other part is just plain concrete; they had padding/carpeting in that section too.

What could I put down instead of carpet? I've been told that carpet probably isn't the best choice for a basement because it can hold a musty smell. The ceramic flooring in the basement bathroom still looks great after the flooding, so I was wondering if I could do something like that.

Any advice from someone who's been there?

Dawn

Ceramic is a great choice for a basement. It can dry out if you have another flood (heaven forbid) and is more durable than most any other type of flooring.

I did a basement several years ago after a flood that is still in great shape. I also did a couple of feet up the walls with a trim piece along the top to dress it up a bit. It makes the rooms look a little better than just a simple cold tile floor.

Porcelain Tile in Basement of Bella Vista, AR Residence | Welcome to Trevathan Floorcovering

Comment

Ceramic tile is the best option, however it is expensive compared to carpet. It also is going to be cold under foot below grade. Vinyl tile can be installed right over the existing tile if you prepare the floor properly. However, if this flood was "unusual" and you don't expect it to happen again in the future, I personally still prefer carpet in a basement. It adds warmth and gives the room a more "finished" feel in my humble opinion. I wouldn't put pad under it however, but glue it right down the the existing floor. It will wear better and be easier to keep clean.

Good Luck

Buck

Comment

Re: Flooring for a basement rec room

The best thing I can suggest for basement is ceramic...

Comment

flood

IF only you flooded. The best thing to do is to find where the water is getting into the basement and take care of that problem first. Even with tiles on the floor, if your water table is high you could get mold and the smell that never goes away.

Comment

Re:

Yes Wooden is not good if you have leakage problem u should go for Ceramic flooring....

Comment

Working...
            X
            =