Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sagging floor in bungalow

I have a 45 year old bungalow that has a slope in the middle of the house. The original 4x4 beams look compressed from age and weight. I am going to buy 2 jack posts to replace the 4x4's. I need to raise the floor around 1 - 1.5 inches. I plan on only turning 1/8inch every couple of days so I don't wreck anything. Is there anything I should look out for.

Thanks

Alex,

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you are on the right track, slow and easy does it. You should watch for cracks and gaps as you go and you may have to adjust doors after.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

quote:Originally posted by alexdc99

I have a 45 year old bungalow that has a slope in the middle of the house. The original 4x4 beams look compressed from age and weight. I am going to buy 2 jack posts to replace the 4x4's. I need to raise the floor around 1 - 1.5 inches. I plan on only turning 1/8inch every couple of days so I don't wreck anything. Is there anything I should look out for.

Thanks
      I have a 60 year old bungalow that slopes in the middle and I would like to raise the floor about the same 1 to 1 1/2 inches. I was wondering if you have completed your floor raising project and how it went. Did you experience many drywall/plaster cracks? How long did the process take? Do you have a concrete floored basement? I have an unfinished basement so will I need any additional supports under the floor jacks?
      Thanks, any advise would be greatly appreciated.
      Cindy

Comment

Alex, my hardwoods also sag a bit--one where the old floor furnace was removed and one in the kitchen where the hardwood was patched with plywood. When I put ceramic tile in the kitchen, I didn't put any support under the floor but now want to so problems don't occur. Where did you get your jack posts (if you've gotten them)? Thanks.

Comment

Hi,
          Am experiencing the same problem. I have a 2 inch subfloor and I was wondering if I need to cut out a piece of the subfloor and put in a steel plate directly on the concrete floor before jacking the floor up. Or just put the jack stanbd directly on the concrete?
          Spike

quote:Originally posted by Jimmer

Alex,

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you are on the right track, slow and easy does it. You should watch for cracks and gaps as you go and you may have to adjust doors after.

Good luck, Jim

help is never far away.

Comment

Jackposts can be purchased from any of the box stores for around twenty bucks or so. As for putting something under that jackpost, yes. A nice plate of heavy gage steel would be best. Maybe something about a foot square would be nice to help distribute the weight. Make sure they're plumb in all directions and that they're well centered on the beam.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =