Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grout haze

I had an installer put ceramic tile into my finished basement. After it was done, he told us we shouldn't walk on it for a couple days which we didn't. Then we saw that it was cloudy looking. We wiped it down with cheesecloth, water, and a little vinegar. It was still cloudy looking after it dried. We tried mopping it up with warm water and a little floor cleaner. Then it dried and it's still cloudy looking.

It also has white splotches on the tile which appear to be dried grout. I have went over the floor on my hands and knees with warm water and vinegar water with a scrub sponge and it just won't come off. I paid a lot of money to have this floor done and it still looks like crap. Is there anything I can do to salvage the floor?

Dawn

He shouldn't have left anywhere near that amount of grout haze on the floor If your not removing it with clean water and a sponge then there is another option (not vinegar), you can buy a product at all big box hardware stores called "Haze Remover" follow the instructions carefully as most of these products are a weak hydrochloric acid solution. You also might want to pick up a cleaning scouring pad while your in the tile department, it will make you job a little easier in those tough areas. DON'T use the green scouring pads available for kitchens etc... they will leave color stains.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Haze Remover

I got some haze remover from Menard's and applied it tonight. I'm crossing my fingers that this will do the trick. I have a ton of people coming for Thanksgiving this year (my first year hosting it) and I really wanted the basement to look good.

Dawn

Comment

Originally posted by charmed View Post
        I got some haze remover from Menard's and applied it tonight. I'm crossing my fingers that this will do the trick. I have a ton of people coming for Thanksgiving this year (my first year hosting it) and I really wanted the basement to look good.

Dawn
        I'm crossing my fingers you didn't leave it on overnight !!
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Grout haze

It said to apply it then clean it off with clean water. I wasn't sure if it meant tile by tile or the entire area, so I took the quicker way and did the entire floor with the haze remover then did the clean water over it all. However it's hard to tell because when the floor is wet, it looks great, but now that it's dry it looks slightly better but there are still areas where there's a lot of grout.

For Thanksgiving, I'm going to try to cover up those areas the best I can with the tables and try rugs. I can try another round of grout haze remover I guess. For the larger spots I've been reading that you should try to etch it off with a hard wood like oak after you've soaked the area in water.

I still think I shouldn't have to be putting in this much work after hiring a contractor to do the flooring install.

Comment

No, you really shouldn't have to do that much work, or any for that matter.

The key is to use the mildest thing that will work for you.

If what you are using doesn't work, you could use sulfamic acid crystals.

Make sure you don't leave any product on the floor for an extended time. You might test an inconspicuous area to see how it will work.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =