Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat tape questions

I have an issue with the main water going into a mobil home.

The main water comes out of the ground to a valve. From the main valve it has Pex running about 12 feet to the utility room. This is 3/4 pex with a splice half way down. I have the senser taped to the pex pipe and the heat tape atached every 6 inch for the full length. The full length as well as the valve is well isulated. I can feel the ice block in the pex line when i flex it, but the heat tape dosnt kick in. The pex dosn't really feel that cold to the touch, but I know there is ice in it. Buy th way the ice block is right at the splice.

First , will the heat tape be able to properly read the temp of the water through the Pex?

Second should I replace the entire Pex line to get rid of the splice ?

Third, if I am replacing the Pex should I use copper instead ? The only issue I have with the copper is that it could split if it frezzes next year, the pex seems to be albe to take the freezing a bit better than copper.

the PEX should be one complete length with no splices. reason being that, if it were one complete length, the internal temperature would be the same throughout. a splice would be a different temperature at THAT point. For a heat tape to be installed, wrap the entire length of PEX with a foil tape, then install the heat trace along the bottom of the PEX. Heat rises. Wrap the PEX and heat trace with black neoprene pipe covering.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =