Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky Bathtub Drain

I have a tub located on the second floor and the tub drain leaks. I've purchased two new drain fittings and I am supporting the plumbing putty industry with this project. I can't get the darn thing to stop leaking. Would caulking around the outside of the fitting be a possible solution? Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Are you sure the leak is from the tub drain? It's possible the PVC could have cracked or sprung a leak somewhere else. Can you feel around the sanitary tee and overflow pipe? Are you certain the leak isn't due to failing caulk around the tub wall or floor?

Comment

Thanks

I had installed a new drain kit, but I disassembled and inspected last night. All the PVC connections are tight. The problem is that the gasket that sits on top of the drain tube flange under the tub leaks and I can't feel an irregularity that would cause it. I've tried 3 new gaskets. As I mentioned, I use a heavy bead of plumbers putty, so I'm sure that isn't the problem. I tried screwing down the drain fitting tighter, but that doesn't seem to work either. I'm at a loss.

However, thanks for your response.

Comment

Plumbers putty on the top part of the flange inside the tub and the rubber gasket underneath on the bottom without putty and tighten. That's how it is done.
        I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
        Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
        Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
        Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

It sounds like you have it together correctly. I would look elsewhere for the leak.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =