Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC Waterline Problem, Please Help!

I hope I can explain the problem well enough for others to understand without a visual aid. I am fixing my grandparent's home water line. They have a well and a pressure tank. Most of the line is not easily accessible, the only place it can be reached is about a 4 or 5 foot section right next to the pressure tank. When the system was built, a coupler with the threaded nuts and rubber gaskets on both ends was used to connect the supply line to the rest of the system which is a steel line. The gasket in the coupler became worn out over the years and began leaking. The hardware store did not have a 1 inch coupler in stock, so I improvised and purchased a union style connection, where there is only 1 threaded set right in the center. The problem I encountered is that both the supply line in and the steel pipe that leads into the system are rigid and cannot be moved at all. To make the union join tightly in the center, the pieces of 1 inch PVC have to be longer than will fit in the joints.

I know this is really hard to follow without a diagram of sorts, but I'm not sure where to create one. Basically, I don't have enough room to put the correct length of pipe into the glue joints. Instead of being able to use a piece that is supposed to be the length from the inside of the joint on one end all the way to the inner most of the joint on the other end, the only way I can make the piece fit is from the very edge of one joint to the very edge of the other, leaving no room for the surfaces to contact each other inside the joints. I am unsure of how to solve this problem since I cannot move anything to get any extra room.

Hopefully somebody can help answer my question before tomorrow. I'll be waiting eagerly for replies. Thank you very much!

could you use a slip through compression coupling? next I would suggest a fernco coupling.

Comment

Can you supply a picture or two so we can see what your looking at?

Don't use a Fernco coupling either. It can't take the pressure.

I'm not sure what your trying to describe, but if it's concentric piping, you can't just cut the pipes and put them back together without a lot more work than what you have described so far.

Is there one big pipe coming into the basement with this rubber gasketed thing your describing at the end with two pipes coming out and going to the pump?

Send up a few pictures, get back and give us one of the whole thing, pump, pipes, tanks etc.

Comment

Not a Fernco they are not for pressure applications, but maybe a Dresser Coupling...

Can you post a picture of what you have. The 1,000 words have me still not getting what you are saying...

I guess SpeedBump and I cross posted...
        I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
        Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
        Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
        Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =