Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• braded cable hose to dishwasher blows up

8 years ago we had over $10,000 in damge when the braded cable to our dishwasher literally blew open under the kitchen sink. Hot water ran for over an hour as we slept at 5 am.

Today I get a call from my son and I can hear my wife in the background screaming. It seems the 8 year old cable has blown again and they are like chickens with their heads cut off with no knowledge of what to do.

I instructed my son to shut off the main water supply to the house and turn the circuit breaker off to the dishwasher and start cleaning the water up until I got home.
    The damage this time was controlled although at least 5 or 6 gallons or more made its way into the basement (finished BTW) good thing I have ceiling tiles and when I got home I ran the bissel carpet cleaner on the carpeting in the basement and sucked up about 2 gallons of water. I now have a floor fan running to dry it out and then looked under the sink to discover the braded cable was blown open Identically as the last one was.

Went to Lowes with the cable and showed it to the plumbing sales guy and he said he has never heard of this happening before. I told him this was the second time this had happened so I guess I am just lucky.
    I bought a new cable and it says guaranteed not to blow...yea sure.

So can anyone out there in forum land tell me what the heck keeps causing this cable to blow up?

here is a photo of the culprit

Braided hose....

I would promptly send a photo of that braid covered hose to the manufacturer with a firm, but not impolite, letter requesting why your house is in need of repairs after their product fails. Mention also that this is the second time it has happened. And your research now is in a direction for a product from a manufacturer that will provide confidence in your using it. Especially considering that hot water is spraying. Scalded flesh is not a pleasant experience, and their product is jeopardizing the well being of your family in addition to the expense of the house repair. But...before you do that...verify the temperature limits of that hose. Their label may preclude it from dishwasher or clothes washer use.

Comment

I agree. I have never heard of a braided line ever failing. It seems like you either have really bad luck, or these lines you are purchasing are junk and defective. I would also get in contact with the company and see if they would compensate you at all for that.

Comment

I have seen them burst, not as frequent as a nylon or rubber but it does happen.
        I agree with bob to contact the manufacturer, but here are a few other things to check on your end.
        Make sure the tempature of you water heater is not set to high.
        Make sure the water pressure in the house is not to high.
        Check that the dw line is not rubbing on something, with the vibration of the dw it will rub away at the hose.
        To be on the safe side you can run a hard copper tube instead of the braided line.
        Charlie O.

Comment

Very unusual to see a braided hose fail like that.

I have seen and heard of several failures of the connectors on the Watts FloodSafe braided hoses.

Is there something where that hose was that could have damage it such as rubbing on a sharp egde or, hitting live electrical connections?

Possibly chemicals that may have stored under the sink corroding it?
          Last edited by Redwood; 04-20-2011, 01:55 PM.
          I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
          Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
          Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
          Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Do you recall if the first supply line burst in the same spot as the second? I agree with others that something must be causing this. I'd make a note to yourself to check these cables every six months or so.

Comment

The cable is 60" long and when the dishwasher is pushed back into place the cable sort of loops around loosley under the kitchen sink. Ironically the last cable blew at the same point, under the sink. There is nothing under there that it rubs on and sits at the back corner.
              I have no idea who made the old one at this point but I am saving the packaging of the new one that says it will never blow open.. we shall see.

I thought as well maybe my water pressure is to high, but thats probably a good thing, just not for this cable. If it were to high what could I do about it? We have a water softener and I dont think that would cause any issues.

I have told my wife that under no circumstances in the future that the dish washer be run when no one is around.

The basement floor has dried out OK and I dont think I will get a mould issue.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =