Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Leaky Tub

Have a leak coming from the fixture/washer/bolt thing (don't know what you call it) where the tee connects to the shoe. I have attached the picture that I have seen posted here and circled in red where the problem is.

The is an old clawfoot tub and the pipes are like a black metal, no pvc. If that makes a difference.

How do I go about fixing this? What tools do I need etc. On a scale from 1-10 how hard is it to fix? I am a 28 year old female with no home improvement experience whatsoever. But I figure I need to learn. I would really appreciate any help you can give me!

If you have easy access it isn't too difficult, but
    when you're inexperienced, it's always harder.
    I would cut the pipe just below the tee fitting
    and replace the whole drain/overflow assembly with PVC.
    You can buy the whole kit at a home center. Use a Ferno
    coupling to connect the old pipe to you new PVC.
    If you go to a store like Home Depot, stop by their
    book rack. Look at the Plumbing books and you'll get
    more info on exactly what to do.

Comment

Well I'd pause for a minute before cutting anything....

Waste & Overflows can be a little tough and if they are leaded into Cast Iron like I'm guessing they might be when you said they connect to a black pipe the degree of difficulty shoots up another notch.

I'd first look at why it is leaking at the tee. Is the waste & overflow shot or, is the slip joint loose or, the slip joint waster has cracked?

If that is the case it may be as simple as removing the flange inside the tub and removing the slip joint nut pulling it apart and putting in a new washer and drain gasket... Not often you get lucky like that though...

Can you post a picture of what you have?
      I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
      Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
      Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
      Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =