Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garbage Disposal

Can a old garbage disposal lead to more drain clogs? Do the blades wear out and can they be replaced?
    We have been noticing more clogs in the kitchen sink of the variety where I have to remove the trap to get all the food out. I started to wonder if the garbage disposal wasn't performing its job and needed to be replaced/refurbished

Absolutely!

Many of the lower end disposers use galvanized steel for the grind chamber. A few years down the road and they are toothless and pushing unground waste into the line...

Read more here...

I'd suggest if you are replacing the disposer that you upgrade as it will be well worth it if you intend to stay in the same home any length of time...

The Insinkerator Evolution line is an excellent choice....
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
    Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
    Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Thank you for the reply! It's been 10 years, we plan on staying and I'm tired of removing the trap

Comment

Ahh 10 years...

Then chances are it looks just like this one and is long overdue for replacement....

If it does it has been toothless for at least 5 years and if you have a dishwasher draining into it I'm surprised it hasn't corroded enough to drop right off the bottom of the sink yet and break the pipes off....
        Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe

Comment

That sounds about right. I've unplugged a lot of kitchen sink clogs. Of course now the wife wants me to replace the kitchen sink while I'm at it

Comment

Originally posted by mooremljeff View Post
            Of course now the wife wants me to replace the kitchen sink while I'm at it
            Ut Ohhhh...

No new Granite Countertops and cabinets as well?

What ever you end up doing make sure that what you are putting in allows enough room to connect to the existing drain connection.

People never think about that until after the fact, especially those experts at the large orange and blue home centers that sell you all that good stuff and install it. That new granite countertop and cabinets, with that new deep undermount sink looks great when I arrive after the installation people have left and told you that all you need now is a plumber to hook up the drain for a couple of hundred bucks...

Yea, Maybe while the cabinets were out that could be done....

The drain needs to be lowered in the wall because gravity doesn't allow water to drain uphill and all I need to do is butcher the back of your cabinets to repipe the drain in the wall lower....

It's going to cost more than a couple of hundred but what would they care they have been paid and left....
            Now I can Plumb!

Comment

Actually, she did mention new counter tops but I had to draw the line at the new sink Maybe SS sink if she's nice A definite on the new garbage disposal since I'm not a fan of removing the trap everytime the sink plugs up

I've got the Insinkerator Evolution series on my shopping list for the weekend.

Comment

The one that I linked was their top of the line one...

Really any of them are great! They are much quieter than your old one and grind much better...
                Now I can Plumb!

Comment

Thanks, they all seemd affordable.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =