Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to free up a stuck pipe joint

I have a pipe with a coupling on the end. They're metal, not sure what exactly. The house was built in 1953, and I think they are original. I need to get to coupling off, but it's stuck. I don't want to use alot of force with a pipe wrench and break something. I there a product I can apply to the joint that might be able to soak into it and make it easier to remove the coupling? Seems like along shot since the two pieces are screwed together very tight.

It may be galvanized steel against galvanized steel pipe. If it is relatively large in size to the pipe it may be cast iron. if it is cast iron, back it up with a block of steel and whack it hard with a large ball pein hammer. cast iron will shatter. if it is steel, heat it with a propane torch to break the bond between the fitting and the pipe and the thread seal compound. "RECTORSEAL" has been around for ages. Another compound is gray in color - I can't remember the manufacturer of the stuff - could be "OATEY" but I ain't sure. what size pipe? 1/2 to 3/4 a 14 inch wrench would do nicely, maybe even for 1 inch. larger than that go with a 24 inch.

Comment

Stuck pipe joint....

That block of steel trick HayZee speaks of works super for all pipe joints. Whack it all around. Don't be shy with how hard you hit that joint. The larger the pipe, the harder the hit. The idea is to bang it on all sides. Then put the wrenches to it. Yes....use two wrenches. Hopefully you'll be able to reach it with the hammers....just make sure to use a nice chunk of steel on the backside of the joint when you hit it on the front side. A sledge hammer head works well....

Comment

Working...
      X
      =