Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fluidmaster value turns on/off, flush valve is new also.

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluidmaster value turns on/off, flush valve is new also.

I recently (2 months) replaced both fill and flush valves in 2 toilets with Fluidmaster products. A week ago I noticed both toilets fill valves are turning on even though the water level in the tank is at the full mark. (Note: the water level at the full mark is below the overflow tube.) The fill valve runs for about 10 seconds before turning off. I did a test where I slghtly lifted the flapper allowing water to leak slowly into the bowl and found I had to allow the water level in the tank to drop at least 1.5" before the fill valve turned on. Therefore, this does not seem to be a problem with leaking around the flapper but a fill valve problem. Any ideas of additional adjustments I need to check/make? Thanks!

What is your water pressure? How many PSI measured?
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
    Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
    Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
      What is your water pressure? How many PSI measured?
      No idea. I built this house 17 years ago. Have city water and never had an issue will older tech toilet fill valves.

Comment

old(er) brass fill valves used a metal spool to open and close the water flow. new(er) valves use a neoprene diaphragm against a neoprene seat and plastic parts. the inverted cup float is a new design.

Comment

Originally posted by Back40 View Post
          No idea.
          Well that makes 2 of us....
          I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
          Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
          Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
          Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Dye (blue) test on both toilets resulted in light blue water in bowls, so I'll be replacing the flappers next. Question about flapper design/fit, should part of flapper that protrudes into the water outlet be the same approximate diameter as the outlet? Currently, the diameter of both flappers protrusions is about half the diameter of the water outlet. Thanks!

Comment

the bushing [plastic or brass] that goes through the tank is angled to act as a seat for the flapper valve. get a flapper that closely matches the bushing. otherwise the flat part of the flapper will do all the "sealing."

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                the bushing [plastic or brass] that goes through the tank is angled to act as a seat for the flapper valve. get a flapper that closely matches the bushing. otherwise the flat part of the flapper will do all the "sealing."
                The plastic bushing opening is apprx 2 inches in diameter while the protrusion part of the flapper is apprx 1 inch dia. Are you saying the flapper protrusion diameter should be closer to 2 inches?

Comment

two inches is standard for a flush valve and the overflow pipe slowly feeds water underneath the flapper to refill the bowl. yes find something closer to the diameter.

Comment

How to Replace a Toilet Flapper
                    Toilet Flapper & Seal Replacement: Invented by Korky in the 1950’s, the original toilet flapper is the preferred choice among plumbing pros. With a wide array of flappers, our universal and specific fit flappers are sure to meet the needs of your toilet.
                    Last edited by HayZee518; 11-15-2011, 10:10 AM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =