Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dishwasher drainage issue..it's going all over my counter!

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishwasher drainage issue..it's going all over my counter!

Hello,

I am a new first time homeowner and new to the forum. There seems to be an issue with my dishwasher in terms of drainage. I have a garbage disposal installed as well. In the past, it seems that the water drained into the disposal. On the top of my sink I have this plastic nozzle sticking up which seems to take care of overflow. So when it drained, the sink would gurgle and sometimes water would come out of that nozzle. The past two cycles it appears ALL the water is coming out of the overflow nozzle. It's too much and it flooded my counters and drawers.

I feel like something is clogged but I am not sure where to start. I can take photos if need be. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I call a plumber.

Thanks!

That part on top of the counter is an Air Gap designed to keep nasty drain water from feeding back into your dishwasher creating an unsanitary situation,

The line from the Air Gap to the disposer or, dishwasher tailpiece is clogged and needs to be cleaned or, replaced.

This line should be a continuous pitch downward from the Air Gap to the drain.
    If the drain hose has any point where water will collect the drain will be problematic and should be corrected.
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
    Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
    Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

This seems to be a maintenance item, then, and it must be done every so often...
      IMO, an air compressor in a modern house is a must.
      And, dollars to doughnuts, one will find nothing about this maintenance in the paperwork that came with the dishwasher.....

Comment

I have a dishwasher here in NY, but unlike an air gap my effluent line has a copper loop that goes up almost to the bottom of my counter, THEN goes to the waste line connection

Comment

Air Gaps are a code required item in many areas and do provide a superior level of backflow protection over the high loop. There are other areas where the high loop is sufficient to meet minimum code requirements.

As always when plumbing follow the locally applicable code for your location.
          I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
          Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
          Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
          Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =