Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting drain for washer to cast....

There is only 18" of clearance under the house. There are no drain lines anywhere around where the washer is going to be installed. The closest drain is to the bathroom sink, and it is roughly 15' away. The drain from the bathroom sink goes straight down into the ground.

SO, can someone give me an idea of how to connect the washer drain into the sink drain? I'd like to run the new drain in PVC, and tap into the cast drain. Can I get enough fall over 15', since there is only 18" of clearance?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Hello,
    I'm sorry that I can't help you with the drain, but you seem to know a thing or two about plumming. Do you have any advice on how to unplug a garbage disposal ?

Comment

Looks like we're in the same boat, pal...sorry!

Comment

A drain lines requires a 1/4" slope per foot. So for 15' you will need 3.75" of clearance. Your problem will be working in such a tight area to cut the cast drain, you'll need to either buy or just rent the tool, or hire a plumber out to do it for you. Here's a link that'll show how to tap a cast drain line: http://www.bhg.com/bhg/story.jhtml?s...tref=cat240042

quote:Originally posted by mcnuttz

There is only 18" of clearance under the house. There are no drain lines anywhere around where the washer is going to be installed. The closest drain is to the bathroom sink, and it is roughly 15' away. The drain from the bathroom sink goes straight down into the ground.

SO, can someone give me an idea of how to connect the washer drain into the sink drain? I'd like to run the new drain in PVC, and tap into the cast drain. Can I get enough fall over 15', since there is only 18" of clearance?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Hey kactus, what is the name of that tool you are talking about? I don't believe I've ever seen one before.

Comment

I believe it is called a chain break and you should be able to rent one.

Comment

JCs got it right, it's a chain break, be careful using it as cast can sometimes shatter when breaking. That link has alot of details of how to use it for your project. Good Luck

Comment

I've always used a reciprocating saw to cut cast. Is there any problems with doing so? It seems to be safer than using the chain cutter, so you don't take the chance of shattering the pipe.

Comment

I'd suggest to use whatever works and whatever you feel more comfortable with, a reciprocating saw would also work.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =