Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conduit leaking at basement well.

Where my power line for my well enters the basement wall, there is a flexible metal conduit around the line. It's covered in a type of plastic, but it's leaking somewhere between the basement wall and the well. I'd rather not dig a 6 foot hole to stop this. I'd like to trim the conduit to the wall and seal the leak with something, but I'm not sure what to use - if even possible. The leak rate is around a drop every few seconds. Is there anything that will set and seal while water is present?

Thanks

what you speak of is called SEALTITE or LIQUIDTITE conduit. It is an assembly of flexible metal sheathed conduit covered with a thermoplastic. There are special fittings used with this conduit. It is available from 1/2 inch trade sized conduit to but not limited to 3 inch. It can be used with all types of fittings - standard junction boxes, weatherproof boxes, threaded conduit fittings. Only place it cannot be used is in explosion-proof applications. There is an electrical fitting known as an EYS fitting which is used in explosion-proof applications, but has a "dam" inside for packing with a fiber rope and a compound called CHICO-X. The Chico-x is mixed with water and is poured into the fitting. In about a half hour it hardens and forms a gas proof seal. Maybe you could use this for your application to keep out moisture. I wouldn't recommend cutting it off and sealing it because it forms an earth ground for your pump housing. Use a proper fitting.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. My well pump isn't a basement mounted pump. It's outside, I assume at the well itself. The conduit comes in just below the water pipe and just ends about an inch from the pressure switch where the wires are connected and the water just drips out the end. I originally thought the pressure switch was what was leaking, but when I disconnected it and it dropped down, water began pouring out of the conduit. It's almost identical to the setup next door, except there is no conduit next door, just the wiring coming in. So, I'm not sure the conduit was even necessary. If I seal it at the end, it will just be full of water and potentially leak later. That's why I felt I should cut it off at the wall. Whatever is the best way to stop the leak is fine with me though.

Comment

most of the time the pump's wires, the black,red,yellow is just buried along with the black well pipe and goes into the controller with a fiber or plastic bushing. some installers [as in your case] use the liquid-tite for mechanical protection, should anyone decide to dig in the trench. at the pump location, dig down to where the well pipe fitting is and you should find the wires [in the liquid-tite. or the wires may just come out of the ground and enter the wellhead cap.] squirt some non hardening caulk inside the conduit and re bury it or see if you can form the conduit so the open end points down. upwards or horizontally it will wick ground water. whatever water is left in the conduit will eventually drain out. maybe use a shop vac to suck out the remaining water.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =