Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Connection Leak in Ice maker

I have a leak in the line for my icemaker where the tubing connects to the water pipe. I believe the water is coming out through the hole and leaking around the connection. When installed it leaked for a couple of days then stopped. It then worked fine for several months, and then started leaking again. I have tried both tightning a loosening the valve. How can this be fixed since there is already a hole in the pipe. Do I replace the saddle valve and what can I do to keep it from leaking if the hole is to large?

Whether this is copper or vinyl tubing, you might want to cut the tubing and reinstall it onto the fitting. That way you can do away with the hole, as long as you have enough slack to do that.

Comment

Could it be leaking around the packing nut under the handle? Try snugging it down just a bit. Also, give the two jack screws on either side a bit of a turn, too. Hard to imagine it would leak from under the gasket that's saddling the pipe. Let us know if you met with success. (or worse!)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mrcaptainbob

Could it be leaking around the packing nut under the handle? Try snugging it down just a bit. Also, give the two jack screws on either side a bit of a turn, too. Hard to imagine it would leak from under the gasket that's saddling the pipe. Let us know if you met with success. (or worse!)
        We ended up replacing the whole connection. Did not really have enough slack to cut the pipe. I think the whole was too big that was drilled in the pipe, although the original instructions told us to drill 1/4" hole. So we wrapped some teflon tape around the hole before putting on a new connection. Seems to be working for now.

Comment

Great! Thanks for the update!

Comment

For anyone connecting an icemaker line in future, there is a self-drilling type of valve available, eliminating need to drill pipe and makes for a cleaner connection.

Comment

The self piercing saddle valves work real well in copper, but do not work very good in galvanized or black iron pipe.

Mike

quote:Originally posted by volts

For anyone connecting an icemaker line in future, there is a self-drilling type of valve available, eliminating need to drill pipe and makes for a cleaner connection.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =