Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (WWW) Well water worries

So my wife and I have purchased our first home in Somers, NY.
    First, I'd like to say we are both from homes with well water. I understand the need for filters (for sediment), softeners (for hard water) and UV Lights. (For Bacteria)

I am a homebrewer, so I make beer and wine, so water quality is very important to me. I found it troubling that some of the water reports are now coming back bad.

I wish to put a series of filters on the water system, as well as replace a water holding tank that's bigger than the "propane" sized tank in my basement.

In what order do the filters go, and can I join the systems with pex pipe?

Is is Well --> Sediment filter --> UV light --> Softener --> holding tank ?

thanks for all your considerations. -Drew

plumbing order

your piping order seems ok. PEX can be fished in walls like electrical wiring. it is pretty immune to freezing. it'll expand if its frozen but won't burst and comes back to more/less its original size when it thaws.

Comment

I don't know what type of filters you are referring to. The order would be: storage tank > filter. I don't know that you have bacteria other than good bacteria which we all have. If I'm not mistaken, bacteria has something to do with the fermentation process.

Never put filtration in front of a storage (pneumatic) tank.

If your talking about these big box store filters that have the 10" cartridges, don't waste your money.

You should have your water tested for hardness, iron and any thing else you think the water may have, then pick out the right filtration. Check the PH also. Be aware that a water softener will probably catch anything that a string of those 10" filters will and will backwash out instead of spending a fortune on new filters all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedbump View Post
        I don't know what type of filters you are referring to. The order would be: storage tank > filter. I don't know that you have bacteria other than good bacteria which we all have. If I'm not mistaken, bacteria has something to do with the fermentation process.

Never put filtration in front of a storage (pneumatic) tank.

If your talking about these big box store filters that have the 10" cartridges, don't waste your money.

You should have your water tested for hardness, iron and any thing else you think the water may have, then pick out the right filtration. Check the PH also. Be aware that a water softener will probably catch anything that a string of those 10" filters will and will backwash out instead of spending a fortune on new filters all the time.
        Coliform bacteria, is what I meant. It's not uncommon around here. Good to know about the pneumatic tank. I'll do a little research.

I have a softener now, and it does filter Iron. (adding salt to it.) Unfortunately the drain to the outside clogged and it backwashed all over my basement. (Happy 2nd day of home ownership) Snaked it out, and it seems better now.

Thank you all for your quick responses. All the water tests should come back shortly, and I'll make my next move.

Comment

On the softener drain, go with bigger hose or pipe and that shouldn't happen again.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =