Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet problems

When I flush my second floor [V]toilet it does not have enough umph to drain completely. I replaced the tank works and put on a new seal but that did not help. Any ideas?

If the tank is full of water and the flush is not pushing everything down the drain, then I would guess that the little holes that are up underneath the rim of the toilet bowl are clogged and not allowing water to pass through. When you push the lever to flush the tank, this water is directed towards your bowl via these little holes and if they are clogged up then you won't get the volume of water into the bowl that's necessary for a good flush.

quote:Originally posted by dee

When I flush my second floor [V]toilet it does not have enough umph to drain completely. I replaced the tank works and put on a new seal but that did not help. Any ideas?

Comment

I am getting plenty of water in the tank, it just does not flush completely. There is still toilet paper left in the bowl after the flush. Everything does not go down.
      quote:Originally posted by kactuskid

If the tank is full of water and the flush is not pushing everything down the drain, then I would guess that the little holes that are up underneath the rim of the toilet bowl are clogged and not allowing water to pass through. When you push the lever to flush the tank, this water is directed towards your bowl via these little holes and if they are clogged up then you won't get the volume of water into the bowl that's necessary for a good flush.

Comment

I understand, that's why I suggested to clean out the little holes that are on the underside of your toilet bowl. They are probably clogged up and not allowing enough water into the bowl fast enough.

Comment

I believe Kactuskid is correct. After awhile these "rim " openings get clogged with lime,crud,etc. Use one of the various advertised cleansers they have on the market, like CLR. Hube

Comment

I cleaned the holes with a coathanger and it did not make a difference. Any other suggestions?

Comment

There are a few things that can effect how well your toilet flushes, the next thing I would check is to make sure that your flapper is staying open long enough when you flush so that the majority of the water in the tank goes towards the bowl. There is a small float that is attached to the chain that is connected to your flapper. You can move this float DOWN, towards the flapper and it will keep the flapper open longer. If you don't have a float on this chain, then replace the flapper with a red fluidmaster flapper (model 400A) that has an auto dial built into the top of it. Set the dial to 9 for maximum open time.

There are also ways to make sure that the small holes are thouroghly cleaned out, using a coat hanger won't ensure that the ports will allow all water to pass as sediment and lime could be still in the channels. The following link will describe in detail steps you can take to clean out these ports using vinegar and other alternatives to check.http://www.toiletology.com/lazy.shtml Hope this helps.

Comment

How old is the toilet? Some of the newer government mandated 1.6 gal per flush toilets will not flush solid waste completely.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                X
                =