Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bathroom leak

Hi all, newbie here, since I got laid off a few months ago (tough job market out there), I've been tackling all these job repairs.

We had a small leak in the kids bathroom (teenage girls who take loooong showers), so I just decided to redo their bathroom in the process to fix the leak (painting/caulking/new vanity). Since we had a new floor put in last year, I thought I'd reseat the toilet in case that was the issue...although I just kind of figured this original leak was water spilling off the shower curtain while the girls showered.

well it seems I made the problem worse, and from the ceiling below, one can see water is running along the joists. About once a week the ceiling is noticably wet (and then looks like it dries in between) and it seems to coincide with when one kid takes a bath instead of a shower. So I am fearing a leak from the tub drain.

So...I need to tear up drywall to look for this leak but am wondering if I am better off tearing up the ceiling below the bathroom...or going in from the side through the adjacent bedroom wall.

I'm not good with drywall repairs, and would prefer the side entrance but have a feeling that would be a waste of time as i really need to look from below.

I'm sure once I get this thing torn apart I will have other questions.
    thanks

Welcome !!

Are the shower and bath one unit ? I ask that cause you mentioned a shower curtain but also said it occurs about the same time as a bath.
    If so then the leak if it is from this one unit would happen anytime the unit is used.

The bath tub controls and drain are normally located on the same end, this often backs up to a closet in a bedroom, or a bedroom wall, You can buy at most hardware stores "inspection panels" where you cut a hole in the wall (to match the panel size) then caulk in the panel, this panel has an interior section that can be removed and replaced any time you desire and can be painted to match wall colors.

Before you cut into the ceiling I'd get myself a panel and then cut in behind the tub on the wall in the bedroom, this will enable you to see the complete drain line behind and under the tub and in most cases enable you to make the repairs from this area and then install the panel cover. Much easier than dry walling etc...
    Panels are available in the plumbing section of Lowes/HD.

Are you sure the leak is not from the toilet ?, it is common to hear about a small leak in a toilet that once "repaired" (not by a plumber or experienced person) the leak gets bigger, Wax seals can be tricky things to install. I also wonder if this is the problem area because you mentioned a new floor, if it was "tiled" last year did they install a "extension ring" on the toilet flange before they installed a new wax ring?
    The toilet flange (big plastic PVC fitting, screwed to the floor, that the toilet bolts to) should sit on top of any finished flooring, I often see people just tile up to the ring and then throw on a wax ring , problem is the flange is now at least 1/2" lower than it should be. Of course if you had vinyl laid on the floor there would be no need for the extension ring.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

If you are lucky enough to have a large bathroom then you might like to consider one of the many double vanities which incorporate “his and her” sinks. These can be very handy if the kids have to get up and leave for school around the same time, as one person needn't hold the other one up. You'll also have separate cupboard below for storing your own toiletries. Speaking of sinks, there are a wide variety to add that wow factor to your bathroom. If space is a major issue, you might like to consider a small bathroom vanity with a cupboard and a drawer below it, which is useful for extra storage, and a contemporary porcelain bowl with a tall faucet sitting on top.
      Last edited by tracywhite; 09-20-2012, 08:00 AM.

Comment

pushkins...thank you so much for such a long detailed response, lotsa ideas there. I will definitely go inthrough the closet wall first then and get a wall panel to have a look see at what might be going on.

You could very well be right about the toilet as last year we replaced the smaller subway tile with a thicker ceramic tile. When I resat the toilet i did use a waxring with a new flange, but I did wonder if I should use two wax rings instead. Are two wax rings a good idea? should one meld them together first?

travywhite...thanks for the ideas, I'd love to have double vanity there, unfortunately there is not enough room

Comment

Your welcome,
          You shouldn't have needed to replace the flange unless it was cracked or broken (it is glued to the waste pipe) what you should have added is a plastic spacer that looks almost exactly like the top section of the flange, it lifts up the flange to above finished floor level. Then you install the new wax ring. the biggest reason for the spacer is so that you can actually tighten down the toilet firmly without breaking the flange.
          I have seen two wax rings used but again for the above reason it's not wise, a new spacer is about $4.00. For wax rings I always buy the reinforced version with the black rubber gasket infused with the wax, when the wax compresses the rubber flange sits neatly down into the waste pipe adding another layer of protection against leaks.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =