Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Toliet Flapper

I have an unknown brand of white toliet which has a very odd toliet flapper. When I look at the flapper it seems to be connected by a screw to a pair of two metal arms that are connected to the toliet. The two metal arms are then connected by a chain to the pull button that flushes the toliet. I've googled for quite a while but I can't seem to find any pictures or instructions about how to change or replace this type of flapper (or even who is the manufacturer).

Does anyone have any hints or ideas? I tried taking a digital picture but it was too dark in the tank and my camera's flash didn't help.

Thanks.

flapper

I looked at several different flappers and the only one that makes mention of "metal arms" is an American Standard with a flat disk type of flapper. The disk either unscrews from the float or unsnaps from the float. The float is a hollow piece of plastic that is set at an angle to the vertical piece that moves. when you flush the toilet, the seat opens and drains the tank. the float is just bouyant enough to stay there until it relieves itself of water then the seat closes, the tube fills up with water and its weight closes the seal tightly until the next flush. the small tube goes into the overflow to fill the bowl after each flush.
    A picture would be worth a thousand words.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      I looked at several different flappers and the only one that makes mention of "metal arms" is an American Standard with a flat disk type of flapper. The disk either unscrews from the float or unsnaps from the float. The float is a hollow piece of plastic that is set at an angle to the vertical piece that moves. when you flush the toilet, the seat opens and drains the tank. the float is just bouyant enough to stay there until it relieves itself of water then the seat closes, the tube fills up with water and its weight closes the seal tightly until the next flush. the small tube goes into the overflow to fill the bowl after each flush.
      A picture would be worth a thousand words.
      I finally figured out how to take a picture of it. I got a lamp from another room, hooked up an extension cord, and put it right above the tank to make the lighting right. Here is a picture of the setup:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Toliet Flapper.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	87144

I also did more research on this topic and found out that my toliet is produced by Eljer. Apparently this is a common flapper for their toliets and universal flappers aren't compatible. I found a few potential Eljer replacements on amazon and ebay. I guess I should order some and see if one of them works.

Comment

flapper

ok, that pix explains a lot. I did find out that a push button flush operates off a cam that moves a lever upward, which in turn is connected to a chain on the flush flapper.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =