Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about replacing water line to kitchen sink

Hi Folks,

I am getting ready to buy and install a Filtrete brand under-sink water filter, and in anticipation of this task I looked at the water lines under the sink just now. I immediately noticed that the cold water line is a stiff 1980s-era ringed-looking silver type of line (the type that looks like a trachea/windpipe) and I foresee it easily cracking when I start moving it around.

Therefore I am considering replacing that line completely with a length of PEX as part of this job.

My questions are:

1) Is my suspicion on target? Is this line likely to rupture if I start flexing it as the filter installation will no doubt require?

2) Is there anything in particular I would need to know to do that as a plumbing newbie?

3) Videos I've seen about PEX don't make it look like it's very flexible either with regard to doing "C" or "U" curves. Am I wrong about that?

thanks heaps,
    AP

As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words, I'm not sure what the pipe your referring to is being used in a kitchen scenario, most often they are used in built in bathroom tubs.
    Anyway, they are not meant to be manipulated around a lot, kind of shaped to be what they need and then not touched again, you would probably find it very hard to somehow attach your filter system to this.
    I personally am a fan of PEX, it's flexibility in use is great.
    Have you considered running a new flexible line from the shut off valve to the filter then another flexible line from the filter to the faucet removing the existing line ?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
      As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words, I'm not sure what the pipe your referring to is being used in a kitchen scenario, most often they are used in built in bathroom tubs.
      Anyway, they are not meant to be manipulated around a lot, kind of shaped to be what they need and then not touched again, you would probably find it very hard to somehow attach your filter system to this.
      I personally am a fan of PEX, it's flexibility in use is great.
      Have you considered running a new flexible line from the shut off valve to the filter then another flexible line from the filter to the faucet removing the existing line ?
      Hi pushkins, thanks for your reply. Combining your reply with additional web research I think I now have all the info I needed.

thanks,
      PG
      Last edited by Plumb Green; 03-02-2013, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =