Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jet well sorta blew up

Im sitting around my house, when there is a loud noise followed by hissing from my basement.
    I went to check it out.
    I have a well pump in the basement, its a 120volt jet well i think.
    Their is a high pressure stream of water spraying into my basement, from what looks to be a pressur. relief valve.
    In addition the pump itself was very hot, as well as the incoming water lie gping into the pump.
    They were so hot that water was turning to steam as it sprayed on it.

So, what the heck happened, and how do i fix it? The motor was running when this happened and continued to run until i unplugged it, so im guessing the pump itself is ok.
    Do u think the valvle just gave out? Or the pressure limit switch didnt shut the pump down, causing high pressure and valve failure? This may explain why it was so hot?
    I dunno, but i need help!!!

pump

I don't know why the incoming water would be hot. ground water is somewhere around 58 degrees year round,
    As far as the pump goes, check the pressure switch contacts they may be welded together. this would allow the pump to constantly run.
    and there fore get hot. a well pump is meant to operate intermittently. another thing to check is the centrifugal start switch in the motor itself. the motor has a capacitor in one winding to start the pump and then cut out. if its contacts weld together then the start winding will draw a high current all the time and may be the reason for the heated up motor.
    the pressure relief valve is doing its job. buy a new one.

Comment

It's my guess that the pump didn't shut off when it should have for several reasons. This lets the pump run deadhead which heats the water in the pump from the impeller spinning in the same water. It will get hot enough to melt PVC and in some kinds of plastic, the impellers and diffusers also. Sometimes when you turn the pump off, the impeller and diffuser will bond together when they cool and never start up again.

You said you unplugged the pump? Pump motors should be on a separate breaker and never plugged into a receptacle.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =